• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I get a suspension removed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

godsun

can I get my license back

What is the name of your state?Maryland
:confused: My maryland license has been suspended by pennsylvania (due to a charge of driving on altered plates).I dont see how they can wait three years (this charge was back in 2002) and I paid all the fines...even had to sit in jail for 50 days :eek: What can I do to get my lic. back???

Last edited:

seniorjudge

godsun said:
What is the name of your state?Maryland
:confused: My maryland license has been suspended by pennsylvania (due to a charge of driving on altered plates).I dont see how they can wait three years (this charge was back in 2002) and I paid all the fines...even had to sit in jail for 50 days :eek: What can I do to get my lic. back???
The suspension is a civil action which has nothing to do with your criminal action.

sukharev

1) try to find any records of paying the fines. If you can't, then contact the court you paid to, ask them to pull up your record and give you a copy.

2) Assuming you indeed have taken care of everything (paid fines, served jail time), then contact PA court that suspended your license, ask them how to fix the problem. They will advise you on how to proceed. Maybe sending them a letter and a record would be enough, maybe you will have to show up for a hearing, in any case the court clerk is your best friend.

JETX

godsun said:
My maryland license has been suspended by pennsylvania (due to a charge of driving on altered plates).
It is unlikely that your MD license would be suspended for an out of state violation like this... unless the PA issue is still outstanding and not resolved.

I dont see how they can wait three years (this charge was back in 2002) and I paid all the fines...even had to sit in jail for 50 days.
Again, something seems missing. An 'ordinary' altering plates would NOT get you 50 days in jail. What is the FULL story.

What can I do to get my lic. back???
That depends on the real story on why your MD license was suspended.

From the Maryland DMV:
"When the Maryland MVA receives a non-compliance notice from another state, we send the driver the original out-of-state non-compliance notice and a Maryland MVA notice of suspension. The notice of suspension includes information about the out-of-state citation (ticket) and whom to contact to resolve the problem. The notice of suspension also includes a suspension date. On or before this suspension date, the driver must submit proof to the Maryland MVA that the problem has been resolved or face the suspension of his or her driving privileges in Maryland.

What should I do if I receive a non-compliance notice?
You should immediately use the information on the non-compliance notice and the notice of suspension to contact the appropriate out-of state authorities who can provide information on how you may pay your fine. After paying, be sure to ask for a receipt or other written proof that you resolved the problem. Submit the documentation to the Administrative Adjudication Division of the Maryland MVA so that your suspension can be deleted or withdrawn.

What happens next?
If you submit the proof of payment or problem resolution on or before the suspension date printed on the notice of suspension, the MVA will delete all record of the suspension. In effect, your driving record will not include any indication that you ever received a notice of suspension.

If you submit the proof of payment or problem resolution after the suspension date, the MVA will withdraw the suspension. However, your record will reflect the fact that your driving privileges were suspended from the suspension date until the date that you submitted the proof.

If you do nothing, your driving privilege will be suspended and you will not be able operate a motor vehicle or obtain or renew a Maryland driver’s license until you present proof of payment or that the problem has been resolved.
"

I suspect you have chosen the 'If you do nothing' option.

godsun

Re: out of state suspension

Thanks for the responses everone...they have been helpful.Jetx the reason this ended up in a 50 day jail visit is because Pa. issued a warrant and i was extradited(sp?) there...I didnt know there was a warrant issued,even the judge didnt think they extradited people for a charge like that, but they do. furthermore I just recently found out about the suspension the hard way, I was stopped by local police and had a lovely trip to the commisioner( :rolleyes: ).I have talked with Penndot, and they want me to sign a letter accepting the suspension and say my suspension wont start accruing time until it is recived by Penndot.Which brings me back to point "A", the judge who heard my case didnt say I was to be suspended.His instruction to me was "pay all fines within one year and the case will be closed". I paid all in full within two months.I suppose a phone call or a letter to the court clerk in the county where this occurred will prove I complied, however I still dont know if this is an issue that needs to cleared up with the court or with Penndot. I have spoken with Maryland MVA and they say they cant remove a suspension from another state, that I must get Pennsylvania to do so :( Good lord what mess!

sukharev

Look, it's quite simple really. Just do everything in writing, and the letters coming back would advise of the next step. First call the court clerk, figure out what to send to whom, and send it. If you paid the fines, the matter should be closed and court would respond verifying it. Next, indeed you have to work with PennDOT, and do as they say. You could argue you should not be suspended, but the rules are strict, and you will likely have to wait until suspension runs its course. Once it does, get that in writing from PennDOT, call MD DMV and figure out whom to send it to. They would update their record and you will have your license back.

You are being caught up in the system, so let it go, try to comply and wait until it's over. Good luck.

godsun

Thanks...I guess

Thanks Sukharev..I appreciate the advice.I guess like everyone caught up in a mess, I want a magic wand,lol. Well since I dont have one and and I am not rich and famous (well not yet anyway ;),I'm going to have to "buck up" and deal with it...boy a miracle from God sure would be welcome at this point :cool:
Thank again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">