• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cswarts824

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado/New Mexico

Hello, my name is Curtis Swarts, I live in Denver, CO. I have a friend, who used to live in Colorado as well, but then moved to New Mexico with his family a few years back. While he was in Colorado (before he moved) he recieved a ticket. It was for speeding. It happened while he worked at Pizza Hut, and he ended up losing his job. Since then, he hasn't been able to hold a job, and hasn't been able to pay the ticket. He lost his license and the ticket, because of late fees, has skyrocketed to $1500. His family in New Mexico has given us on him, and aren't willing to help him. He is currently living is a car down there because his family won't let him live with them. I want to help him get his life together; find a job and place to live up here in Colorado. I just don't know where to start. For almost any job, they want you to have a drivers license and he'll most likely need a car to comute to work. I have no way of helping him monitarily. Are there any agencies that help people with their unpaid tickets, or is there a way to make it up with community service time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis

j991

It's good that you want to help your friend and you may be able to do more on your own than you think. First you and your friend need to contact the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued. Speak with the court clerks and ask if you can set up a payment plan. Many jurisdictions will allow you to pay a certain amount each month until the ticket is paid. If this is the case then it should allow him to get his O.L. back and therefore help him get a job. Work on getting the ticket paid, but if he still can't get an O.L. there are many temp agencies that don't require an O.L. for day workers. Also contact your local community service agencies to see what job training, clothes, or housing that he qualifies for. You can get those numbers out of the phone book, or call the sheriffs office. Good luck

cswarts824

Thanks for the advice. I will have him call the jurisdiction as you mentioned and ask about his options, then we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Curtis

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">