• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I place an appeal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jillfloyd

California.

I got fined $714 or the choice of 103 hours of community service for driving solo in the carpool/HOV lane. I find the ruling ridiculious, and I would like to place an appeal. Do I have to go to the court? Do I have to make an appointment? I can't seem to find the answer to my questions anywhere.

Douglas_Rest

[Calif]
No, you don't have to go to the court to file an appeal; do it by mail if you want. Get the Nolo Press book "Fight Your Ticket" by attorney David Brown for help with the details. But what's wrong with the option of community service? You could do a lot of good for others while earning some brownie points too. You'll spend more time than that just learning how to write and file an appeal.

racer72

The punishment for your offense is part of the statute and cannot be appealed. You can only appeal the sentence if there was procedural errors during your hearing or you have new evidence to support an innocent plea. The courts would be jammed packed if folks could appeal the sentence they receive if the sole cause was they did not like the sentence.

Jillfloyd

racer72 said:
The punishment for your offense is part of the statute and cannot be appealed. You can only appeal the sentence if there was procedural errors during your hearing or you have new evidence to support an innocent plea. The courts would be jammed packed if folks could appeal the sentence they receive if the sole cause was they did not like the sentence.
I believe it is our right to be able to appeal, but i see what your saying. I read something that said i only have 30 days from the sentence to be able to appeal anyway. Thought i'd give it a shot so i could waste the states money, but it's to late now.

Community service it is. :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">