• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you legally respond to a road rage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Willie11900

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
No longer seeking further responses. End of thread.

Last edited:

justalayman

As long as the other person didn't get out of the car, I don't believe I have a case against him, but it certainly was upsetting and tiresome experience. Is there anything I can do against this person with the video evidence of his demeanor legally?
post it on the internet and ask if anybody knows who the whacko is.

Two questions:
1) Had I got out of the car to go talk to the person behind me, which in all likelihood would not have ended up in a sensible conversation, and the situation escalates, would I be subject to arrest and charges filed against me even though I didn't start the rage?
possibly since you are the one who escalated it to a face to face confrontation while blocking traffic to boot.

2) This is not a legal question, how often do this kind of situations happen to you, and how do you react without escalating the situation instead of not reacting so it will upset you less?
never but if it did I would simply do my best to ignore them and move on with life. It isn't worth getting involved with an idiot that is pissed at the world.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
It doesn't happen often, but from time to time, I get people yelling at me to make turns into a traffic while I'm waiting for a traffic gap, or I stop at a red light, and the car behind me makes abrupt stop and ends up almost hitting me, and gets upset, blares horns at me repeatedly, yelling and making offensive gestures at me. This time, I captured a person on my rear dash cam who blared horn, yelling and gesturing at me for having made an abrupt stop when I stopped normally in front of a red traffic light. I was not at fault in my opinion because I simply stopped when light turned red, and I do not understand why the person behind me got so angry.

As long as the other person didn't get out of the car, I don't believe I have a case against him, but it certainly was upsetting and tiresome experience. Is there anything I can do against this person with the video evidence of his demeanor legally?

Two questions:
1) Had I got out of the car to go talk to the person behind me, which in all likelihood would not have ended up in a sensible conversation, and the situation escalates, would I be subject to arrest and charges filed against me even though I didn't start the rage?

2) This is not a legal question, how often do this kind of situations happen to you, and how do you react without escalating the situation instead of not reacting so it will upset you less?
Goodness. Wow.

I will respond to question 2.

Never has this type of situation happened to me or any family or friends. And if you just LEGALLY DRIVE your car in a responsible manner it should not happen to you again.

Eekamouse

If people are often getting enraged at you when you are driving, there is something wrong with your driving. If you don't think it's you, factor in how often people react furiously to something you've done in traffic. If it's more than say twice a year, there is definitely something wrong with the way you are driving. I'm being overgenerous when I say more than twice a year. I've never had it happen to me at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerD

Have you tried classical music?
If you have and you are still having a problem, have you tried death metal?

TD

justalayman

Have you tried classical music?
If you have and you are still having a problem, have you tried death metal?

TD
I tried death metal first. Damn those steering wheels hurt when you head bang into them. Now my nurses insist I listen to only classical.

Willie11900

If people are often getting enraged at you when you are driving, there is something wrong with your driving. If you don't think it's you, factor in how often people react furiously to something you've done in traffic. If it's more than say twice a year, there is definitely something wrong with the way you are driving. I'm being overgenerous when I say more than twice a year. I've never had it happen to me at all.
Eekamouse, I've been drive for 20+ year with no point, and never hit anyone, but was rear ended 4 times by other drivers. That is a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie11900

post it on the internet and ask if anybody knows who the whacko is.

Two questions:
possibly since you are the one who escalated it to a face to face confrontation while blocking traffic to boot.

never but if it did I would simply do my best to ignore them and move on with life. It isn't worth getting involved with an idiot that is pissed at the world.
Thank you for your advice. That will be the best course of action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">