• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to fight cigarette throwing ticket in California?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Occultist

Haha I found it highly amusing that 3 people posted at nearly the same time complaining of the necroposting

P.S. Can't the rest of you simply answer the question instead of prepetuating the issue of digging up an old thread? If you ask me it cuts down on the number of threads that all say the same thing.
No, there is a very good reason for requiring new OP's to start their own thread. If the two posters are from different states, then there is definitely no way the two seemingly similar questions should be confined to the same thread. Even within the same state, local ordinances could still be different between posters.

Dreamsurfer

Question of control

Well, I actually did not admit anything yet... I pleaded not guilty and scheduled the trial. I do have a problem with my arm and my hand does go numb from time to time (all of this I just got documented by my doctor). I would like to go to court and explain that I did not do it intentionally and the cigarette fell down accidentally instead of me throwing it... My son was in the car with me and will testify that I did not throw anything...
Hmmm... I see this is an old case but, I'm interested in what happened, and if you used the "my arm goes numb" defense?

In such a case, I would think it would be brought into question that if you didn't have control over a cigarette butt, then what about the car? :eek: My thought, if I were a judge, would be, especially with documentation from an MD or other doctor that control of your arm/hand/fingers is affected to that degree can/does that affect your ability to hold a cigarette butt thus could affect your driving, AND should you continue to have a driver's license?

Also, with the fires we've had here the last few years, dropping or throwing a cigarette butt out the window is outrageous! Do you have ANY idea what it costs to stop a wildfire in California? I think our last fire was over $6 BILLION, so if the fine is lower than that, you ought to consider yourself one VERY lucky person that you didn't start a fire and got sued by everyone who was affected, evacuated, etc. Not to mention paying for our fire resources, EMS, public works, Red Cross volunteers, homes burned down, irreparable damage to the environment, etc.

If you are a smoker, then be responsible about it!

The Occultist

Ok, so even though there were several posts that dictated necroposting is not appropriate, and the fact that the OP, who made his post almost 6 years ago, isn't even a member of this board anymore, you still decided to post in this thread? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">