• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to fight stupid ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorldsBestBoss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So I was in a unfamiliar area looking for my friend's work, and got ticketed for turning right at a red light against a posted sign that said "No Turn on Red". Ok I know I was stupid and didn't see the sign. It was a very dark night, and I was looking for the street to turn on so I just missed the sign. I was going at only 5 mph, no cars coming from the street I turned on. Of course it just happened to be right in front of the police station so I got pulled over. I know what I did was against the law, but still to me it is a stupid ticket. I was going to just pay it and forget it until I got the letter in the mail the other day saying it was $150 (!!!). That's a lot of money! And I was reading different sites that have said that paying for a ticket regardless of who's fault it is is a stupid thing to do. And that you should always fight it. Apparently I can do something called Trial by Written Declaration, in which case I can submit my response without going to court. So it seems to be the obvious choice for me because I think I would be too scared to say "not guilty" in front of the judge. :p My question is, since I don't have any argument as to why I'm not guilty, what do I write in the comment section when I submit my response? Can I leave it blank? Or just write something like "I believe I'm not guilty"? (I know this is wrong, but it was a honest mistake that caused no harm - please help me!)

cyjeff

And "It was an HONEST mistake to turn right on red against posted signage IN FRONT OF A POLICE STATION".

We all know, of course, that honest mistakes are NEVER held against you in traffic court.

Pay the fine.

WorldsBestBoss

Sorry I know I'm wrong to expect the charge to be dropped over something I did commit, though unknowingly. So I really have no defense. But I want to try to submit the Trial by Written Declaration form and plead "not guilty" (the fine is a little unexpected for me). I just want to know if I can leave the "comment" section blank on that form, or put something simple like "I'm not guilty". I don't know, just thought I'd give it a try.

cyjeff

Sorry I know I'm wrong to expect the charge to be dropped over something I did commit, though unknowingly. So I really have no defense. But I want to try to submit the Trial by Written Declaration form and plead "not guilty" (the fine is a little unexpected for me). I just want to know if I can leave the "comment" section blank on that form, or put something simple like "I'm not guilty". I don't know, just thought I'd give it a try.
So you think that the cost of the ticket is so reasonable that court costs should be added?

WorldsBestBoss

Well yeah... lol...stupid I know. I had never been over in that area before, and really did not see the sign nor the police station. I was just looking so hard for the street sign because it was dark and hard to see, and, apparently missed everything else. Maybe I was just having a senior moment. :(

seniorjudge

Sorry I know I'm wrong to expect the charge to be dropped over something I did commit, though unknowingly.

Committing this kind of offense does not require that the defendant know he did it.

Be sure NOT to say, "I was unfamiliar with the area." That is an aggravating (and not a mitigating) circumstance.

WorldsBestBoss

Ok aside from the fine and court cost, can you please just tell me if the insert comment section of the Trial by Written Declaration form can be left blank?

WorldsBestBoss

Sorry I know I'm wrong to expect the charge to be dropped over something I did commit, though unknowingly.

Committing this kind of offense does not require that the defendant know he did it.

Be sure NOT to say, "I was unfamiliar with the area." That is an aggravating (and not a mitigating) circumstance.
Ok ok, I know that I did commit it regardless of the circumstances. So.... how about that form?

WorldsBestBoss

Well... truth may incriminate me. lol. I doubt the judge will say "ok we can dismiss the ticket since you did not notice the sign". I think I will just plead not guilty and leave the comment part blank. :p Thank you for answering my question! :D

>Charlotte<

Lurker
You're not only wasting your time, you're piling more paperwork on top of an already overworked system.

"Not guilty" doesn't mean "you should just let me slide on this one". It means "not guilty". You're going to fill out that form, including neither anything under Item 5 for your evidence, nor anything in the space provided for your comments and submit it to the court. You're just going to say "not guilty" with nothing to back that up. They're going to pass it on to the officer who wrote you the ticket, who is going to respond with his statement that you turned right on red at a light with a sign that said "No right turn on red." Bing, Bang, Boom. Guilty.

You miss signs like that when you're not paying attention and are unaware of what's going on around you. Not paying attention and an unawareness of what's going on around you is what gets people hurt, or worse. Damn right it's a big fine.

There are those that will tell you it's nothing more than a revenue-generating tactic, but they also disregard that it's voluntary revenue.

WorldsBestBoss

hehe... yes I agree with all of you about it being my fault. I suck for not noticing. I feel very stupid about it all. But, apparently my moral standards are not as high as yours because if there's a way to beat the system then I will at least give it a try. I will cross my fingers and hope the cop does not remember the incident, or is on vacation and doesn't write back to the judge. Or has quit his job. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">