• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get a court order/ subpoena phone records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenniferjkang

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VT

I sent a proof of insurance to a fax number that I was instructed to send - a police gave me a number. I sent a fax to them, and called them. They told me that they received the fax and they took care of it, and I am all set and nothing to worry about. Because I am not a native english speaker, I asked her 2-3 times to make sure. So, I thought everything taken care of. Several months later, NH police told me and gave me ticket that I drove with suspended license. So, I contacted VT DMV and was told that they sent a suspension notice to my old address and it returned to VT DMV office. And since then, my license was suspended. I have had auto insurance for all this time without any gaps. Now I need to proof that I sent the fax using library fax machine. Then, I heard from the phone company that they need a court order to process my request. How can I get a court order to get detailed out-going phone numbers from phone company?

I_Got_Banned

You might be able to get the traffic court where you have to appear to cooperate by issuing a court order to the phone company to release records. However, a showing that you dialed a particular phone number and that the call lasted for a minute or two might prove that you did in fact make such a contact, but it might not prove the contents of the document which was faxed over.

If you say that you have had no lapse in insurance coverage for the period in question, I think you may be better off getting a letter from your insurance company certifying that you have indeed, had contiuous coverage that began prior to he period in question. That will give the DMV no other choice but to remove the suspension from their records which will in turn invalidate the citation that you received for driving while suspended because in reality, your license should NOT have been suspended.

I think you'd be better off doing that and I think you'll accomplish you goal n much shorter time period by doing it that way as opposed to battling with the phone company and the library...

Good luck!

patstew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VT

I sent a proof of insurance to a fax number that I was instructed to send - a police gave me a number. I sent a fax to them, and called them. They told me that they received the fax and they took care of it, and I am all set and nothing to worry about. Because I am not a native english speaker, I asked her 2-3 times to make sure. So, I thought everything taken care of.
A little lesson for ALL of us: when making a call of this type, get the person's name and write it down with the date and time of the call. Keep this info until everything is satisfactorily resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">