• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get my fine reduce and go to traffic school Speeding 72 in 55 zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blau

What is the name of your state? CA

Got pull over for speeding 72 in a 55 two lane high way. Just exploring my options. Have not gotton my notice in the mail to appear in court and the fine.

But when that happens. What is the best approach to get my fine reduce and go to traffic court. Keep in mind that I am 200 miles away form the court house (I was on a trip).

1. Can I put up a general defence like I am proven until innocent in my trial by written declaration and ask for a reduce fine and traffic school if found guilty

2. Ask for a trial and if the cop shows up put up a strong defence then when found guilty then ask for a reduce fine and traffic shcool.

3. Ask for a trial and if the cop shows just plead guilty and ask for a reduce sentanance and traffic school.

4. Do 1 and 2.

5. Do 1 and 3.

6. Don't do anything just pay the maximum fine and go to traffic school.

Live in california and I was pull over in california. My record is clean until now so I can go to traffic school.

Or any other suggestions will be appreciated.

seniorjudge

blau said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Got pull over for speeding 72 in a 55 two lane high way. Just exploring my options. Have not gotton my notice in the mail to appear in court and the fine.

But when that happens. What is the best approach to get my fine reduce and go to traffic court. Keep in mind that I am 200 miles away form the court house (I was on a trip).

1. Can I put up a general defence like I am proven until innocent in my trial by written declaration and ask for a reduce fine and traffic school if found guilty

2. Ask for a trial and if the cop shows up put up a strong defence then when found guilty then ask for a reduce fine and traffic shcool.

3. Ask for a trial and if the cop shows just plead guilty and ask for a reduce sentanance and traffic school.

4. Do 1 and 2.

5. Do 1 and 3.

6. Don't do anything just pay the maximum fine and go to traffic school.

Live in california and I was pull over in california. My record is clean until now so I can go to traffic school.

Or any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Your ticket will tell you when you must appear. Ignore it at your own peril.

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable.

From marbol:

“Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a ‘vibrate’ position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR it VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.”

(Better yet, don’t carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.” Or, another variation: “I was forced into it by a bad guy!”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">