• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Long.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinthenorthwest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
The below happens after 9pm and it is dark street 2+ lane street.
After stopping at 4 way stop, I let 2 cars to my right from side street proceed.
1st car crosses street and 2nd car turns right onto the street I am on.
I then proceed, following the car ahead of me at approximately 1 and 1/2 to 2 car lengths. Just prior to the next incident I had changed my radio from cd to radio mode and noticed my speedometer needle between the 20 and 30.
At approximately .3 miles(by car) or .35 miles (by MapQuest) red lights are flashing behind me
I immediately hit reset to ck my speed --registers 23 mph. then pull over while hitting brakes. At this time I'm thinking I'm pulling over to let police car pass for an emergency.
White sedan in front pulls over too.
Officer comes to my car informs me that he had been following and radaring me from street with 4 way stop. He says he radared me at 40 mph from that street. ( Meanwhile white sedan leaves).
He requests the usual stuff. At first questions me 2xs on my insurance with puzzling looks from me. He then apologizes for his reading error. I apologize for old registration stating I had left it on my kitchen table just prior to putting on new stickers. Officer seems to not be bothered with that.
He goes back to his car.

Ok here is the question.
For the officer to be right about my speed; that means barely 30 seconds passed from the time I left the stop sign to the time he red lighted me.
At 40 mph one travels about 2/3 of a mile in one minute. The distance from my complete stop to where I pulled over was a 1/3 of a mile.
Seems a bit quick to me for accurate radar while following.
Any ideas anyone...

Hey if I screwed up I'm the first one to kick myself for being an idiot. This time I was not speeding.

Last edited:

racer72

The typical radar reading takes only milliseconds, radars work at near the speed of light. It might take the officer a few seconds from hitting the button till he gets a reading. Even the toy radar guns (that actually work pretty good) take less than a second to show a reading from the time the unit is triggered. I would suggest thinking of something else for a defense.

kinthenorthwest

Thank you ...My defense if pretty much I was not speeding....
1)There was a person who turned right onto my street from the side street.
To have been going or to hit 40 from a full stop I would have been up that car's truck.
2) To got from a full stop to 40 mph in that distance it would have meant i was pretty much reving up my engine which I was not.
(I have done this several times today so I know).
I have decided to fight it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">