• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOW LONG should I wait?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PHSTARK

What is the name of your state? New York

I was cited for a 2-point moving violation at the end of June. I have decided to contest it and dutifully mailed in the ticket within the 15 day period mandated. That was 6 weeks ago. I haven't heard about a court date.

How long should I wait until going in person to the court and speaking with the clerk? All the "help lines' are solid busy from 8 until 4, and I cannot redial the number indefinitely while at work.

Does anyone have experience with contesting a citation in New York State (since this happened in the 5 boros of NYC I had to send the ticket to DMV plea unit in Albany for a date)

Thanks

lwpat

Good luck. I have heard of it taking up to ninety days for a response and up to a year for a trial. If you did not mail the ticket CRRR then mail a copy of it CRRR requesting an update on the status.

If you did mail it CRRR and got a delivery receipt then wait another couple of weeks.

You Are Guilty

Why wait at all? If you have a telephone, you can use it and save yourself a trip to the courthouse. It can't hurt to check up sooner rather than later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">