• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long should you have before court date- South CArolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sho_greg

South Carolina

OK I have had tickets before- but the court date has always been about 30- 45 days after the incident.

The one I received this morning(4-20-05)- my first ever from the city force- says court date of 5-5-05...

THats about 15 total days.... Is that legal? Shouldnt you have a certain amount of time before having to pay the ticket?

lwpat

Officers have set court dates, usually twice a month. There is no set time between the violation and the court date. If you need more time contact the court and ask for a continuance. Most SC courts will reduce the ticket if you show up on your court date. I don't understand all the people that wait until their court date and then come in and pay when they could hang around for a few minutes and the officer would probably agree to reduce the fine/points.

You cannot negotiate prior to your court date unless you retain an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">