• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is still a speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paj8989

I received a speeding ticket in Massachusettes.

I was wondering how quickly the courts were required to give me a court date after I submitted my Not Guilty plea through the mail.

The court date I received is 50 days from when I mailed in my plea (and that is including 6 days leeway for them to receive and process my plea). I've read in some places that a speedy trial is defines as within 45 days of the plea.

Any chance I could have it dismissed on these grounds?

I_Got_Banned

I would venture to guess that by mailing in your plea, you have effectively waived your right to a speedy trial.

I have attempted a quick search of MA codes and have come up with nothing so far!

Some Random Guy

In MA its 12 months for a speedy trial. However that may be extended if you have waived your speedy trial rights or if you have asked for more time for your defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">