• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How many speeding tickets can you get before your license is suspended in Minnesota?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

efflandt

The MN driver's manual does not really say. It just says it can be suspended if you get too many, or for 6 months if you get caught going over 100 mph. I guess they just want to keep you in fear and suspense.

racer72

If you have to ask such a question, you shouldn't have a license. Speeding tickets are generally not a concern of safe drivers.

erine

How many speeding tickets before suspension in MN?

In general.
The commissioner shall suspend the driver's license of a person upon receiving a record of conviction for a violation of a traffic law under Minnesota Statutes, chapter 169 or 171, or other statutes regulating the operation of motor vehicles on streets or highways. The driver's license must be suspended for a period of:
A.
30 days, if the commissioner has previously sent a violation-warning letter to the person and the person is convicted of:
(1)
Four traffic offenses within a 12-month period; or
(2)
Five traffic offenses within a 24-month period;
B.
90 days, if the person is convicted of:
(1)
Five traffic offenses within a 12-month period; or
(2)
Six traffic offenses within a 24-month period;
C.
180 days, if the person is convicted of seven traffic offenses within a 24-month period; or
D.
One year, if the person is convicted of eight or more traffic offenses within a 24-month period.
The commissioner shall send a warning letter or conduct a preliminary hearing under part 7409.4500 if the person is convicted of two misdemeanors or convicted of three or more traffic offenses, under this subpart, occurring within a 24-month period.
The warning letter must be sent by first class mail to the person's last known address or to the address listed on the person's driver's license, informing the person of the number and type of traffic violations on the person's driving record and the consequences of additional traffic violations.

****Much unlike the other replies from people who think that they are better than others, I understand that people are only human and make mistakes. Good luck and I hope that this answer actually helps! ****

erine

Why not? Who put you in charge of these threads?

And so what if it is over a year old? It maybe too late to help that person, but maybe it will help another person with the same type of question. At least I am trying to help, why does it matter how old the post is if my answer still pertains?

I am attempting to actually help people which is what this forum is for- unlike you...

Instead of posting just to post, maybe you should actually do us all a favor and at least try to have a point one of these times. All you seem to want to do is put people down with your negative attitude. Do you have a reason to be on this forum? Can you actually help people? Or do you just like to make yourself feel better by putting other people down?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why don't you just follow the rules? If you have a question start your own thread instead of necroposting. You are answering a question that was asked 11 months ago. If you think the OP is still around waiting for an answer you're in lala land.

You're the one with the attitude, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

erine

I personally do follow the rules, thank you.

I happen to teach DWI education classes for a living. I just also understand that people make mistakes, and instead of being mean and ignoring their questions, I feel that we should answer them.

Yes, I understand that the post is old- I get that. But obviously people still look at them. You sure did! Several people have as a matter of fact! So if someone is, it can still help!

Have you ever considered that by answering that type of question you could be preventing someone from speeding? Maybe they didn't realize how serious of an offense it actually was/is? Maybe they had one or two tickets and wanted to know if they were in trouble already, or if they had a chance to correct their past indiscretions.

I'm simply trying to help. I'm sorry if I came off with the attitude, but it seemed rude to me when someone has a signature line: "If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me." especially on a forum where people are asking for free advice- not a personal attack.

I wasn't trying to be rude at all. As a matter of fact it was my first time on this forum, and due to experiences like this, I don't know why anyone would want to come back? Is that what you all are going for? Sheesh, not a good thing at all. Have a good day, and good luck to you!

stefanjay

Thank you

Ooooh watch this! ANOTHER necroposting. I just want to say that erine's post did help me A LOT. It was the first link that showed up on Google and answered my question to the "T". Oh and yeah it's ANOTHER year later

Thanks Erine

erine

You're Welcome!

Obviously there are certain rules to posting in these forums, but I really don't see how "necroposting" in this case was hurting anything.

I'm glad that I could help! That was my intention all along... :D

Thank you for commenting to let me know! (Even if it is a year later!)

Silverplum

Back from the dead, and still helping. I'm glad the answer was provided.
There's one very good reason to post your own thread: laws change all the time.

Accurate answers from 2009 are not necessarily accurate in 2012.

Also what's accurate for one state is usually not true in another state. (Posters don't seem to *get* that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">