• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much is my teen driver going to cost me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pwcarswell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My 16 year old daughter (only had her license for 4 months) got a speeding ticket today for going 51 in a 35. The 35 speed zone also happened to be a school zone. Her defense is that she didn't know it was a school zone still since it was 4:30. True...it was no longer a school zone at her high school that she was just leaving but about a half mile from the high school she entered a middle school zone and the school doesn't dismiss until 3:50. Her next excuse was that she thought the school zone was in front of the school and not on the highway she was on next to it which is usually 50 mph.

Now, to make matters worse, she was also given a citation for disregarding a red light - traffic signal. Bear with me while I give her defense again. She said that when she noticed the cops lights to pull her over, she didn't know what to do. She said she looked to the right and didn't think it was safe which is actually a true statement. There is no shoulder on this road and if you pull your car completely off the road on the right you will be parked in a very deep ditch. So, to continue her story, as she approached the intersection, she decided to turn left (no option to turn on the right) to get to a safe stopping location; then the light turned red so she stopped. The cop honked his horn at her with lights still on so she thought she needed to go but hesitated and he honked again. So, she went through the red light and stopped immediately but not without the cop giving her the citation.

So, how much is this going to cost me and does anyone have any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">