• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to reduce a speeding charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevek007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was caught speeding. Doing 70mph up a hill in a 55mph zone. After talking with the state trooper, he said to plead not guilty and to see if the charge can be reduced. The ADA sent me an application for the reduction of charges. What should the proposal be for the reduction? A lessor speed? Non-moving? What would be acceptable/reasonable to ask for?

Thanks
Steve

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was caught speeding. Doing 70mph up a hill in a 55mph zone. After talking with the state trooper, he said to plead not guilty and to see if the charge can be reduced. The ADA sent me an application for the reduction of charges. What should the proposal be for the reduction? A lessor speed? Non-moving? What would be acceptable/reasonable to ask for?

Thanks
Steve
What would you like it to be? Not an "ask and you shall receive" kind of thing...

Are you just asking for the reduction just because you know there is an application that you can submit? Or, do you have two many point on your license and you'd like it to be a non-... Maybe it was an "unfair" citation (as if there isn't such a thing)...

Some attorneys do give a free consultaion. So speaking with one who is familiar with the particular court you're dealing with might give you an advantage.

Sit in court for one session and see what sort of deals the DA is offering (speeding charges are plenty everywhere, I am sure)...

Then you have a better view of what the ADA is accustomed to working with and how flexible he/she is!

At least a couple of things I woud do if I were you...

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">