• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kteela

I'm in NYS, and my car has been impounded, due to insurance and parking violations.

What are my recources? What can I do to fix this problem? I'm going to call the impound lot in the morning to find out if I can recover property from the car and sign the title over to them, but, really - what if that doesn't work?

What is the worst case scenario?

The best?

Help?

kt

sukharev

Just fix it. This may not apply in NYC, but if it does, go to court, plead guilty with explanation, the judge may reduce the fines. As soon as he does, you can retrieve your car. If you don't, then you may wind up paying even more for car storage, fines for abandoning it, etc. The impound lot owner would be amused with your offer, but likely just that. He will not take your car unless it's worth a lot. Police will keep record of your old license plate, and next time you can forget about registering your brand new car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">