• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't know whether I disobeyed an officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anotherperson

I'm scared to death that this might actually belong in 'criminal' law but let's hope not.

An officer directing traffic stopped me. I thought it was my turn, but obviously I somehow misinterpreted his gesturing, because he told me stop and spent a couple minutes explaining that he is held responsible if there is an accident. I felt pretty bad about this, because it was not my intention to complicate his day, but that's besides the point. I told him that I was sorry, and that I misinterpreted his gesture somehow.

He asked me to take out my license, which I did, but he started walking back to his intersection and then shouted at me in an annoyed tone to "move along, man". I took that to mean he didn't want to bother with me and was ordering me to leave, so I did.

Later, I realized that my car was in the street when this happened. I'm afraid that what he wanted was for me to move my car off the road, not to leave.

I'm in Florida. I do not have any criminal record or previous moving violations whatsoever. I wasn't in danger of being arrested and would not have intentionally left to avoid whatever ticket he might have wrote me.

So, two questions. First off, I want to find out whether or not he wanted me to stay but just relocate my car. If that's the case, presumably he reported my license plate somewhere, and there is some sort of pending legal consequence. How do I find out?

Secondly, assuming the worst, what sort of trouble am I now in?

I really appreciate any help.

Last edited:

Dave1952

If he did not take your license then he has no idea who you are. No ticket will come through the mail. Your auto's license plate does not indicate anything about the driver's identity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">