• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I flinched... now I'm wondering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DrieStone

Today I got back from court where I was going to fight a "traveling too fast for conditions" infraction (in Connecticut).

I thought I had a strong case as the officer didn't know the correct speed limit, and I was going to question what the judgment call was for traveling too fast. He had me marked as 65-70 in a 50 (although the limit was actually 55, and there is no way I was going 65).

Regardless. After my first court appearance I rejected the fine reduction ($60) and decided to fight it. When I came in today, during pre-trial I was told that because I refused to take the $60 that the infraction would be bumped up to speeding, and that fine would probably be double the original fine (plus court costs). She told me that the cop was in court and that I would probably lose. She then offered the $60 again.

I flinched and took the $60, now I think I was duped by the court. Can they change the infraction after the fact without any notice?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The speed limit is not particularly relevant for this charge.

And you do realize, don't you, that NO points are assessed in CT if you simply mail the ticket in and pay the fine? That is not the case if the case goes to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">