• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I forgot to turn in the certificate for completing the class to remove charges...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tennis Guy

So, a few months ago I received a citation for improper use of central turn lane. I was going to contest the citation, but I got an offer from the prosecuting attorney to do the Teen Victim Impact Panel class and did that instead. The class was $30 and cost at least three times less than the actual citation! Attending the class would mean the charges would be dropped and no points would be taken off my record. I went and attended the class and got the certificate. However, I forgot to turn the certificate in afterwards because I went out of town (the week after the 19th of November, which was the class date) and I had projects and finals to deal with when I came back (I am a university student!) I know that these reasons are not acceptable excuses and that I should have remembered and been more responsible! My court date was Dec 2nd that I missed. My parents let me know that I got a failure to appear suspension in the mail, so I called the municipal court and they told me that they basically can't accept the certificate and the prosecuting attorney said more or less the same thing and that I will probably have to pay the fine!

Now, I'm trying to figure out what I should do. I was wondering, if it would be possible for the judge to have pity on me and possibly lessen the penalties against me? I'll definitely show the certificate and other paperwork to the judge! If I have to pay the fine, then supposedly it can be up to $500 not including the reinstatement fee! Also, my father will have to pay for it, and I really don't want him to be punished for my mistake! I'm extremely mad at myself about this, and I know none of this should have ever happened! Any advice provided will be greatly appreciated and thank you all for your time and patience!

Last edited:

Proserpina

So, a few months ago I received a citation for improper use of central turn lane. I was going to contest the citation, but I got an offer from the prosecuting attorney to do the Teen Victim Impact Panel class and did that instead. The class was $30 and cost at least three times less than the actual citation! Attending the class would mean the charges would be dropped and no points would be taken off my record. I went and attended the class and got the certificate. However, I forgot to turn the certificate in afterwards because I went out of town (the week after the 19th of November, which was the class date) and I had projects and finals to deal with when I came back (I am a university student!) I know that these reasons are not acceptable excuses and that I should have remembered and been more responsible! My court date was Dec 2nd that I missed. My parents let me know that I got a failure to appear suspension in the mail, so I called the municipal court and they told me that they basically can't accept the certificate and the prosecuting attorney said more or less the same thing and that I will probably have to pay the fine!

Now, I'm trying to figure out what I should do. I was wondering, if it would be possible for the judge to have pity on me and possibly lessen the penalties against me? I'll definitely show the certificate and other paperwork to the judge! If I have to pay the fine, then supposedly it can be up to $500 not including the reinstatement fee! Also, my father will have to pay for it, and I really don't want him to be punished for my mistake! I'm extremely mad at myself about this, and I know none of this should have ever happened! Any advice provided will be greatly appreciated and thank you all for your time and patience!
Why on earth would your poor father have to pay for your deeds? I sure as heck wouldn't.

You have the certificate now, yes? You may want to consider throwing yourself at the mercy of the court and hope the judge (and the prosecutor) is having a good day.

Then gain, you went 0-2. First not having the certificate, second you didn't bother to turn up in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">