• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got a citation/summon for a hit and run. Now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goonrock

about a month ago, i was in a hit and run and got nervous and drove off without giving the person my info. now i got a citation/summon with no fine jut a J.C.P./A.T.J. fee of $10 dollars. i live in PA and it says charge: permitting violation of title and nature of offense: permit "duty to give information + render aid "PAVC75; 3744 (A).

if i plead guilty, what are the fines?

FlyingRon

Depends on whether someone was injured or not in the process and whether the vehicle was attended or not.

If it was attended were no injuries, just property damage, it's a third degree misdemeanor. $2500 (plus substantial costs) and/or a year in jail.

If it was an unattended vehicle, it is a summary offense ($500, and up to 90 days).

If there were injuries or death, the penalties are higher.

Given the fact you were just given a summons, I suspect you were just charged with a summary offense, but you'd be advised to run the paperwork by a local lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">