• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got a ticket going 90 in a 25

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jrisman

I live in california. I was in oakland at street races, and got caought racing my car. Luckily the cop didnt arrest me or impound my car, all he did was give me a ticket for going 90 in a 25. I have a court date, and I know when I go i will get my license taken away. I went back to the spot i raced and found out it was actually a 45 zone if that matters? How can I fight this ticket, what can I say to get out of it. It is in the middle of no where with no cars ever around. What could I say to the judge. Since its a 45 can the ticket get voided?

Thanks in advance!

girlwithbadluck

I live in AZ so I don't don't know about CA laws but in most cases, a mistake on the ticket itself would qualify for a reduced fine. I got a speeding ticket and the cop didn't write down the right color of my car and my birthdate was incorrect but the judge gave me a lower fine because the documentation wasn't correct... in some cases judges may throw out the case because there were too many errors; but i wouldn't count on it in your case.
I don't know how you could defend going 40+ above the speed limit because that is still criminal speed. It doesn't really matter if everyone around that area was racing or no one was racing, there are areas that designate that you can race legally. I assume that street racing is illegal and that would be a criminal offense- it would be best if you get a lawyer.
good luck.

There is no excuse for driving 90. If you want to debate it in court the officer can always revise the ticket to add racing. A lawyer sounds like you best bet.

rmet4nzkx

You were racing, you could have been cited for that. Yes you can point out that it was a 45 mph zone and the officer will point out that it was not safe for the road conditions at 45. If you ask for a (speed) traffic survey, you are still too far over the max speed. You could have gone to one of the race strips that allow racing under supervised situations. Oakland has been cracking down on road shows and related violations. You are very lucky your car wasn't impounded.

Jrisman

Thanks

Well I know all the stuff that you guys have been saying, Im just trying 2 figrue out what I should say/do in court. I can't get a lawyer. Doesn't the law say if i cant afford one, one will be appointed to me. How do I go about doing that? The ticket has no mention of racing. All it says is 90 in a 25. What would you guys do?

CdwJava

Jrisman said:
Well I know all the stuff that you guys have been saying, Im just trying 2 figrue out what I should say/do in court. I can't get a lawyer. Doesn't the law say if i cant afford one, one will be appointed to me. How do I go about doing that? The ticket has no mention of racing. All it says is 90 in a 25. What would you guys do?
You aren't eligible for traffic school, and an attorney isn't available from the state for traffic infractions.

- Carl

CdwJava

Jrisman said:
So what can/should I do?
I dunno ... go to court and hope the officer doesn't show, maybe ... or, start paying out the bucks for the fine.

You are lucky you didn't lose your car and get arrested!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">