• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got two tickets in the last few months in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seni1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
I got a ticket last year for not making a full stop at a stop sign. I did not go to court, paid my ticket and attended traffic school. I did this in order to avoid an increased fee to my insurance. I was driving yesterday at 70 MPH (At least that is what the officer said) in a 55 MPH zone. How can I attend traffic school and/or have this ticket taken of my record? I don't want my car insurance to go up. Pleeeease help!!!! :(

I_Got_Banned

How can I attend traffic school and/or have this ticket taken of my record? I don't want my car insurance to go up. Pleeeease help!!!! :(
You can check with the court about the possibility of your enrolling in the second offender traffic school. It consists of a 12 hour course that cannot be taken online - only in a classroom setting.

Additionally, upon completion of the course, the citation is reported on your driving record however it will not add any violation points to it.

How that will play as far as the way your insurance policy is rated with your insurer? I guess it depend on the particular company that you have. Call them to finds out...

Jim_bo

If it was a two lane road, then IGB has a good plan. If it was a multilane road, then we should discuss.

seni1

You can check with the court about the possibility of your enrolling in the second offender traffic school. It consists of a 12 hour course that cannot be taken online - only in a classroom setting.

Additionally, upon completion of the course, the citation is reported on your driving record however it will not add any violation points to it.

How that will play as far as the way your insurance policy is rated with your insurer? I guess it depend on the particular company that you have. Call them to finds out...
I thought that the purpose of attending traffic school was to avoid your insurance premium to go up. That is the main reason why I want to attend traffic school. I am afraid to contact my insurance company and give them the heads up, when there might be a slight chance (?) that they will not find out.

I_Got_Banned

I thought that the purpose of attending traffic school was to avoid your insurance premium to go up. That is the main reason why I want to attend traffic school. I am afraid to contact my insurance company and give them the heads up, when there might be a slight chance (?) that they will not find out.
Well, some might argue that the purpose of traffic school is to avoid having points added to your driving record. And the 2nd offender traffic school does just that.

Unfortunately in your case, you have already attended the traffic school that affords you a complete dismissal. Second best would be the 2nd violator where it shows the violation yet without any points.

To answer your previous question, you can do this (request to speak to the judge and ask him/her for the 2nd violator school) at any time between the 20th day since you received the citation and the date on your citation.

As for giving your insurance heads up, I really highly doubt that they can raise your premium based on a question that you ask over the phone. The choice however, is yours. I personally would rather know how a zero point citation will affect my premium prior to my expending the effort, time and extra $49 dollars for the 2nd offender traffic school.

I_Got_Banned

To answer your previous question, you can do this (request to speak to the judge and ask him/her for the 2nd violator school) at any time between the 20th day since you received the citation and the date on your citation.
I should also add that some courts might let you see the judge the same day that you appear while others (Los Angeles County courts for example) might schedule your appearance date up to 3 months in the future. Yes, they are that backed up!!! :rolleyes:

seni1

Well, some might argue that the purpose of traffic school is to avoid having points added to your driving record. And the 2nd offender traffic school does just that.

Unfortunately in your case, you have already attended the traffic school that affords you a complete dismissal. Second best would be the 2nd violator where it shows the violation yet without any points.

How do I request to speak with the judge?

seni1

"As for giving your insurance heads up, I really highly doubt that they can raise your premium based on a question that you ask over the phone. The choice however, is yours. I personally would rather know how a zero point citation will affect my premium prior to my expending the effort, time and extra $49 dollars for the 2nd offender traffic school."

I was just checking ticketassassin.com and found the following info: "If the court allows you to attend traffic school more than once in 18 mo., the DMV will record this second dismissal on both your confidential and public driving records. Though your insurance company will know you were cited and attended traffic schoo, they cannot legally raise your rates. Insurance rates can only be increased if a guilty conviction or at-fault accident is recorded on your public record. A dismissal, whether recorded publicly or confidentially, can never be used to increase your rates"

What do you thing about this?

I_Got_Banned

How do I request to speak with the judge?
You go to court, ticket in hand, at 8:30am (or whenever the court opens up), go up to the traffic window, and tell the clerk "I'd like to see the Judge" or something to that effect!

Now keep in mind that if you're appearing prior to the date on your citation, the clerk will have to pull your file and send it to court as opposed o it being there as part of the list of files on that day's docket.

That means you might not be called up until after the first break or so... But I would still go immediately from the clerk's window to the courtroom where your file is being sent. They usually will give defendants a few instructions on what they can or cannot say or do...

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

I was just checking ticketassassin.com and found the following info: "If the court allows you to attend traffic school more than once in 18 mo., the DMV will record this second dismissal on both your confidential and public driving records. Though your insurance company will know you were cited and attended traffic schoo, they cannot legally raise your rates. Insurance rates can only be increased if a guilty conviction or at-fault accident is recorded on your public record. A dismissal, whether recorded publicly or confidentially, can never be used to increase your rates"

What do you thing about this?
I'm not gonna comment on whether that is right or wrong. I will tell you what I know... Insurance companies have their own rating system that as far as I know is NOT based upon violation points. They view your record and utilize their own point system to rate your policy.

If you look at the DMV website it'll tell you that "the violation will appear as a zero point violation which should not affect your premium".

Question is, if your insurance premium increases, is the ticket assassin gonna go plead your case to the insurance company? How about the DMV, will they give you a letter to give to your agent saying roll back this driver's premium to the old lower amount?

A premium rating is based on many factors. And if the insurer wants to raise your premium they could fudge numbers and tell you it went up because auto thefts went up in your area, for example... They're in the business of making money and California seems to be one of the best places to do that in.

That is why I suggested you check with your insurance company and they will let you know.

Last edited:

seni1

TO: I_Got_Banned

Thank you very much for your advice. I have a question: How do you know so much about tickets, court and insurance companies?
Thanks again!!! I will go to court and see what happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">