• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a case number but i never got a ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rene_perez

A month ago I was involved in a 3-car accident, and due to drivers license issues and insurance, my car was impounded. I am still waiting for the ticket on the mail in order to appear in court but I still don't have it. A friend of mine has a friend who is a sheriff, here in Los Angeles, he said he couldn't find a ticket, only a case number.

I am wondering what is going on because I don't want to fail in appearing in court, but I don't have a ticket at all. I need to know what to do to find this ticket with only the case number. I tried to reach the officer that was involve in the report but I couldn't.

I gave my current address and still I am still waiting on the mail. Please let me know, anybody, where to go to find if there is a ticket, or for a God's miracle, there is no ticket, I don't know. Thank you and I hope I explained enough to get an answer.

sandyclaus

A month ago I was involved in a 3-car accident, and due to drivers license issues and insurance, my car was impounded. I am still waiting for the ticket on the mail in order to appear in court but I still don't have it. A friend of mine has a friend who is a sheriff, here in Los Angeles, he said he couldn't find a ticket, only a case number.

I am wondering what is going on because I don't want to fail in appearing in court, but I don't have a ticket at all. I need to know what to do to find this ticket with only the case number. I tried to reach the officer that was involve in the report but I couldn't.

I gave my current address and still I am still waiting on the mail. Please let me know, anybody, where to go to find if there is a ticket, or for a God's miracle, there is no ticket, I don't know. Thank you and I hope I explained enough to get an answer.
If there's a case number, then there is something in the system SOMEWHERE. Not having the ticket - a piece of paper - isn't going to protect you from facing the consequences in court or giving you an excuse for not appearing in court.

Call the court or go to the courthouse where the ticket was issued and inquire as to the specific violations and required fines to pay, as well as a scheduled appearance date. Don't get stuck with a failure to appear and additional penalties by waiting until a ticket comes in the mail.

CdwJava

A month ago I was involved in a 3-car accident, and due to drivers license issues and insurance, my car was impounded.
So, your license was suspended and your vehicle unregistered?

I am still waiting for the ticket on the mail in order to appear in court but I still don't have it. A friend of mine has a friend who is a sheriff, here in Los Angeles, he said he couldn't find a ticket, only a case number.
If you were not cited at the scene it is possible that no citation is forthcoming at all. They might mail you one, they might not. Is your address current with the DMV? If not, then any notice might have gone to the old address.

A collision report and an impound will generate a case number, but a citation does not HAVE to occur as a result of a collision. It can, and often does, but it is not required.

You cannot be held to account for an FTA on a mailed citation as you were not released on a signed promise to appear. However, if they cannot reach you, it is possible that a warrant could issue or your license could be suspended ... but, if it is already suspended, then it may be a moot point.

I gave my current address and still I am still waiting on the mail.
You GAVE your current address, but, any mail may still be addressed to whatever record the DMV has for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">