• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I HAVE A SPEEDING TICKET IN NJ & IN UPSTATE NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

THATGUY75

What is the name of your state? NY & NJ

The first of my court dates (4/27) is for upstate NY. I was ticketed for doing 48 in a 35 at 11:30p.m. The speed limit was 45 then changed to 35 for which I missed the one sign stating the change. It was snowing earlier that day so my windows weren't completely defogged and it was late at night. I applied for a supporting desposition. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should get a lawyer, fight it myself or learn how to plea bargain. Is it worth trying to fight myself? Can I plea bargain myself? Whom would I contact?

My second court date is for NJ. I was clocked at 86 in a 65. This court date is 2 weeks after my first one. If I am found guilty of the first ticket will that count against me for my NJ court date?

My biggest question of all would be that I have heard 3 speeding tickets in 18 months is an automatic suspension. Does that count if one of the tickets is not in my homestate of NY?

Does anyone know the cost estimates for lawyers for NY & NJ? Would I be able to use a NY lawyer for both court dates? Thanks for your help in advance.
Tim

snostar

THATGUY75 said:
Is it worth trying to fight myself? Can I plea bargain myself?
This is a personal decision. Yes, you can agree to a plea, and a public defender will deal with the DA.

Whom would I contact?
Show up for court, and you will speak to a public defender.

If I am found guilty of the first ticket will that count against me for my NJ court date?
NJ will not be aware of the prior ticket.

My biggest question of all would be that I have heard 3 speeding tickets in 18 months is an automatic suspension. Does that count if one of the tickets is not in my homestate of NY?
Depends on how quickly DMV gets the records.

Does anyone know the cost estimates for lawyers for NY & NJ?
Call and ask around. I don't know of any attorney's that charge less than $175 per hr.

Would I be able to use a NY lawyer for both court dates?
Only if the attorney is also licensed to practice in NJ.

snostar

Quote from above link:
"Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec."

This just seems bizzare, any idea to the reasoning?

You Are Guilty

My guess is that the paperwork involved would reduce the already-slow DMV to a retarded mass of quivering jelly.

I also suspect Canada pays the DMV a portion of the take for the convictions, although I will freely admit I have no proof :)

Either way, when you consider it basically amounts to a "license to speed" in every other state but NY, it's really not that bad a deal. (Especially when you hear how cheap speeding tickets are, particularly out west!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">