• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Missed Court Date, Now I have warrant of arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sebaflores2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida (miami-dade county)

I was driving with my DL suspended (because of expire tag/no insurance) and cop stop me, gave me 2 tickets. One was "criminal" (DWLS).

I was supposed to go to Court last Friday, but somehow I did not know the court date and I missed it. So Monday I called to check and they told me I have a "warrant for arrest" because I didnt show up at the Court. They gave me a number to call, I called and they gave me a new date for court (this coming monday).

On the other hand, I have another three tickets which a "traffict ticket clinic" is representing me, and waiting for a court date (reg expire/no ins/dwls).

So this monday I will go to court, but Im afraid to get arrested.. Are they going to remove the warrant for arrest or what??

Im doing my best to solve all the issues with my DL but is so much money that is crazy. And everything is because the same three issues (expired tag/no insurance/dwls) in the past 6 months (long story, i was a F1 international student, visa expired, got married, waiting for immigration papers, so i couldnt renew tag/dl)

FlyingRon

The bench warrant is just going to haul you up in front of the judge that you have the appearance date. Do not under *ANY* circumstances miss this date. One FTA annoys the judge, a second will get him really pissed off.

What is expected of both citizens and visitors to this country is that you have a license, registration, and insurance before driving. If circumstances prevent you from doing this, you are expected to find transportation other than driving. I'd suggest STRONGLY that you have some means other than driving to get to court on Monday.

DWLS isn't something I'd entrust to a "traffic ticket clinic." You need a lawyer. Certainly curing all the deficiencies will go a long way to inducing leniency in the judge, but you blowing off the first court date didn't help that.

sebaflores2000

I know it was really stupid of me to FTA. And I will certainly go to court this coming Monday.
Im just afraid of what could happen. Do you know what can happen??

FlyingRon

You will be tried on the charges. Almost certainly barring some unexpected leniency from the judge, you'll pay the fines for the registration and insurance charges. Between the FTA and the fact that you were cited and suspended once already for this charge and did nothing cure, I wouldn't count on much.

On the "driving while knowingly suspended", it's a second degree misdemeanor, which means up to 60 days in jail and/or a $500 fine. Crystal ball is cloudy, but you might consider a lawyer on something that could land you in jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">