• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need this question answered, please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simplyXconfused

What is the name of your state (Missouri)

Ok, i currently live in Kentucky but the state where this happened was Missouri.

I got a few too many tickets in Missouri, nothing major just quite a few speeding tickets. I pointed out my license and lost it. It was suspened for 30days plus i had to take a drivers class. I did the class and waited the month. They also said i would have to have 2years of SR22 insurace.

Heres my questions:
Do i really have to have the SR22 for the 2years or can i just wait 2years and go and get them back? Because this happened a few years ago, im in college right now and have no way to pay for the SR22.

my second question is:
if i cant just get it back by waiting can i just get a license here in Kentucky while i finish up school?

any help would be greatly appriciated!

JETX

Do i really have to have the SR22 for the 2years or can i just wait 2years and go and get them back? Because this happened a few years ago, im in college right now and have no way to pay for the SR22.
More than likely you will have to RETAIN 2 years of SR22. The state requires that you PROVE your acceptance of financial responsibility. I doubt that 'ducking' it for 2 years would meet their intent.
However, you will have to talk with the DMV to find out.

if i cant just get it back by waiting can i just get a license here in Kentucky while i finish up school?
Won't work. Kentucky is a member of the 'Drivers License Compact' and will exchange information with Missouri as to your status.

Driver License Compact (DLC) is an interstate compact used by States of the United States to exchange information concerning license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents and forward them to the state where they are licensed known as the home state. Its theme is One Driver, One License, One Record. The home state would treat the offense as if it had been committed at home, applying home state laws to the out-of-state offense. The action taken would include, but not be limited to, points assessed on a minor offense such as speeding and suspension of license or a major violation such as DWI/DUI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">