• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I really wasn't speeding in Upstate NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

On the pipe!

What is the name of your state?NY
Thanksgiving (big traffic enforcement) weekend in the New York north country Rt. 11 I got stopped by a NYS Trooper. He was traveling the opposite direction coming towards me. I saw him do a U turn behing me and thought he got a call. Other cars were even passing me shortly before. He stopped me and said I was going 70 in a 55. When I mailed in the ticket, I requested the supporting deposition. It said "Visually estimated speed at 69"!!! He rounded it up to 70 on the ticket. The box that says "radar" isn't checked! I pleaded my case to the DA and they reduced it to an 1101 non moving violation. Since it's near impossible to get the time off from work to have a trial, I accepted the deal and included a note to the judge. Now they want $105- $50 fine and $55 "mandatory NYS surcharge". If I knew it would be that much I would've insisted on my day in court. At this point there any way to appeal it, fight it further, or request the fine be waived since it's a hardship?

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

On the pipe! said:
What is the name of your state?NY
Thanksgiving (big traffic enforcement) weekend in the New York north country Rt. 11 I got stopped by a NYS Trooper. He was traveling the opposite direction coming towards me. I saw him do a U turn behing me and thought he got a call. Other cars were even passing me shortly before. He stopped me and said I was going 70 in a 55. When I mailed in the ticket, I requested the supporting deposition. It said "Visually estimated speed at 69"!!! He rounded it up to 70 on the ticket. The box that says "radar" isn't checked! I pleaded my case to the DA and they reduced it to an 1101 non moving violation. Since it's near impossible to get the time off from work to have a trial, I accepted the deal and included a note to the judge. Now they want $105- $50 fine and $55 "mandatory NYS surcharge". If I knew it would be that much I would've insisted on my day in court. At this point there any way to appeal it, fight it further, or request the fine be waived since it's a hardship?
Sorry, You had your day in court. The judge reduced it then.

You stated you had no time for a jury, so because you feel the fines are to much, you want a second shot?

Again, you had your day in court. There is no reversing it at this point.

qcxlvr1

You're complaining about receiving a non-moving violation and a mere $105 fine? Please.

I really doubt the trooper made some sort of mistake. They recieve extensive training in speed estimation at the Police Academy. By the way, everything in New York is based on a visual estimate--a radar or a laser is only used as confirmation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">