• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I received a $150 speeding ticket in the mail from speed trap in Newburgh Heights OH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueSapphire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I'm from Youngstown Ohio. I was recently driving through Newburgh Heights in Ohio. A couple weeks later, I got a ticket for driving 38 mph (25 mph is the limit) on Harvard Ave between 52nd street and the intersection where you can get on 77. I watched the video and looked at the two pictures they took of my car online on their website. I was surprised to see this section of road has 6 lanes. It doesn't have houses along the road like you would expect to see on a residential road having a speed limit of 25 mph but instead has trees on one side of the road and Tymex Plastics on the other side of the road.

I decided I would look to see if other people received a ticket for this area and I was surprised to see that Newburgh Heights has several speed traps,

I wish $150 wasn't a lot of money to me. Then I could pay and not worry about it but I only work part time. Going to Newburgh Heights will be inconvenient for me. Newburgh Heights is about 1 1/2 hour away. Part of the reason I feel I should fight it is it's so unfair. I hate that they are getting away with doing this to people. If I was only going 3 miles less per hour (35 instead of 38) I wouldn't have got a ticket. A $150 fine for 3 mph! Crazy!

Some people are saying to not pay it, that it is a civil not a criminal offence. On this site I read, "If you fight it, it's not before a judge or with normal rules of law/court, but an arbitrator hired by the city." I read somewhere else something that seemed to say the same thing, you don't get a trial in front of a judge. I'm not sure what to think. If all you can get is a lesser fine, I'm not sure it would be worth fighting it. I shouldn't have to pay anything!

Please let me know what you think I should do.

Thanks.:(

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">