• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I received a reckless driving citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistake-

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello,
I am 24 years old, a college student, and have a clear driving record prior to this incident. I received a reckless driving citation in Pennsylvania for doing donuts in the snow in the parking lot of my former high school. I went there to show my younger brother (who has a permit) how a rear wheel drive vehicle reacts and slides in the snow. I chose to go to an empty parking lot instead of showing him on a main road.

I was the only vehicle in the lot prior to the officer coming around the rear of the building and seeing my rear wheel drive vehicle slide sideways. He stated that I was on private property (yet its a public high school) and issued the citation because he said I was teaching my brother to drive reckless and the rear of my vehicle lost traction. I asked him why he was giving me a 6 month suspension, his response was he didn't want to give me the wrong information and to check the dmv website. (I told him that I KNOW reckless carries a 6 month suspension).

To me, I felt like he didn't know that reckless driving carried 6 month suspension. I do not believe I had wanton disregard for persons or property due to the fact that I wouldn't take my brothers life in my hands unless I trust my own driving ability. If I get permission (after the fact) from the security officials on the high school for using their parking lot, will the issued citation hold up in court? What are my options other than dressing well and being respectful and hoping for the best? Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello,
I am 24 years old, a college student, and have a clear driving record prior to this incident. I received a reckless driving citation in Pennsylvania for doing donuts in the snow in the parking lot of my former high school. I went there to show my younger brother (who has a permit) how a rear wheel drive vehicle reacts and slides in the snow. I chose to go to an empty parking lot instead of showing him on a main road.

I was the only vehicle in the lot prior to the officer coming around the rear of the building and seeing my 2 wheel drive jeep slide sideways. He stated that I was on private property (yet its a public high school) and issued the citation because he said I was teaching my brother to drive reckless and the rear of my jeep lost traction. I asked him why he was giving me a 6 month suspension, his response was he didn't want to give me the wrong information and to check the dmv website. (I told him that I KNOW reckless carries a 6 month suspension).

To me, I felt like he didn't know that reckless driving carried 6 month suspension. I do not believe I had wanton disregard for persons or property due to the fact that I wouldn't take my brothers life in my hands unless I trust my own driving ability. If I get permission (after the fact) from the security officials on the high school for using their parking lot, will the issued citation hold up in court? What are my options other than dressing well and being respectful and hoping for the best? Any input would be appreciated, thank you.
The school is NEVER going to say that they gave you permission to do donuts in the snow in their parking lot. The liability would be TREMENDOUS. Yes, you were trespassing on private property. Tell me, how could you be SURE that your actions weren't going to cause injury or damage to others? THAT is wanton disregard.

mistake-

The school is NEVER going to say that they gave you permission to do donuts in the snow in their parking lot. The liability would be TREMENDOUS. Yes, you were trespassing on private property. Tell me, how could you be SURE that your actions weren't going to cause injury or damage to others? THAT is wanton disregard.
Okay, I understand it is a liability for them if they say anything. I had no idea the public school changed to private property after dark, there are no signs posted stating so. I also see where you are coming from if that 1 in 99 chance of some random accident were to happen. I trust in my driving ability and would not intentionally put my brother in harms way, we were the only vehicle in the lot at the time. I admit, I screwed up.

justalayman

It doesn't change to private property after dark. It is public property all the time. It's just that you do not have a right to enter the school grounds, or any public property for that matter, without permission. I don't know of too many schools that allow people to enter without it being for school associated activities or activities expressly permitted by the school.

And just so you know, I am not against the intent. I do the same things with my kids, wife, sister, and anybody else that is uncomfortable driving in the snow. I do it for my own refreshment of snow driving experience every year (actually every time I get the chance but sometimes it is solely for the enjoyment)

I believe the ticket is excessive but it could be the result of this happening too many times and they simply decided to hit back as hard as they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">