• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I recieved a moving violation from the street camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laugh_out22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The ticket states that I failed to stop at a red light making a right turn.... my question is... I remember vaguely stopping but probably didnt make a full complete stop.... I want to try to fight this.... I noticed that they got my driver license number waaaay wrong... so is that something that I can take to the judge to try to get it thrown out.... btw this is my first driving ticket ever in my 12 years of driving.... YIKES I'm scared :eek:

racer72

The incorrect DL number does not prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the citation. Try again. You will likely get someone that will tell you that you can ignore the ticket. Not a good idea. I was listening to a radio show "Handel On The Law" this past weekend, Bill Handel is a California attorney. Someone called in, he received a red light camera ticket and on the advice of a website, chose to ignore the ticket. The website claimed that those types of tickets are not enforceable and that the courts can do nothing if you ignore them. Guess what happened to the caller? Yep, got pulled over 6 months later and was arrested for an outstanding warrant, recieved a ticket for driving on a suspended license and had his car towed. It ended up costing the guy over $2000.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The ticket states that I failed to stop at a red light making a right turn.... my question is... I remember vaguely stopping but probably didnt make a full complete stop.... I want to try to fight this.... I noticed that they got my driver license number waaaay wrong... so is that something that I can take to the judge to try to get it thrown out.... btw this is my first driving ticket ever in my 12 years of driving.... YIKES I'm scared :eek:
You can't stop and not stop. The two are pretty much opposites. What is your defense?

CourtClerk

I was listening to a radio show "Handel On The Law" this past weekend, Bill Handel is a California attorney.
Handel is hilarious.... if you ever get a chance to listen to his morning show, you've got to. Sometimes he's.... not so right. Other times, he's right on, but whether he is or isn't right, he's funny.

BTW.... OP you didn't state which county you were in, however LA county is notorious for these right turn cameras these days. If you happen to have gotten this ticket in LA County, you can watch the video of you committing the offense online. You should watch it if it's available, because I guarantee you, if you decide to fight the ticket, the officer with a laptop will show up in court.

Zigner

Ventura County does the same. Someone I knew has his vehicles titled to a corporation. The notice came in, but it is not enforceable against anybody. The notice is a "snitch" notice asking for the driver to be identified. THOSE are the ones that can be ignored. If you get a ticket sent to YOU, then it can't be ignored ;)

I_Got_Banned

You can't stop and not stop. The two are pretty much opposites. What is your defense?
Whether he stopped before the limit line or not makes no difference. The camera is activated when a vehicle passes the limit line while the light is red. So the question is this: is a "right turn on red" forbidden at that intersection or not?

CourtClerk

Whether he stopped before the limit line or not makes no difference. The camera is activated when a vehicle passes the limit line while the light is red. So the question is this: is a "right turn on red" forbidden at that intersection or not?
Actually the cameras here are activated when someone does not make a complete stop before the limit line.

Zigner

Actually, as CC pointed out, it absolutely DOES make a difference if a complete stop was made before the limit line.

CourtClerk

So if someone does in fact make a complete stop then proceeds to go straight through the intersection, the camera does not activate!
This is correct, unless there is a specific instance where there is no right turn on red. However in the OP's situation, it appears he got tagged for not stopping completely, which can activate the camera.

Zigner

So if someone does in fact make a complete stop then proceeds to go straight through the intersection, the camera does not activate!
The cameras watching the right turns are triggered differently than the camera watching the straight-through (or the left turns). With that said...I have seen vehicles make a complete stop and then make a left turn against the red without triggering the camera. I remember reading somewhere that it has to do with the speed of the vehicle (just taking a stab at that one because I don't remember any specifics about when or where I read that).

I_Got_Banned

This is correct, unless there is a specific instance where there is no right turn on red. However in the OP's situation, it appears he got tagged for not stopping completely, which can activate the camera.
The cameras watching the right turns are triggered differently than the camera watching the straight-through (or the left turns). With that said...I have seen vehicles make a complete stop and then make a left turn against the red without triggering the camera. I remember reading somewhere that it has to do with the speed of the vehicle (just taking a stab at that one because I don't remember any specifics about when or where I read that).
Thank you both... It just goes to show that the system is whacked!
So why would anyone straight out plead guilty to a red light camera ticket?
At $341 per flash, & if it were me, I'm gonna make the county earn that money!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">