• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I sorta caused an accident that I wasn't involved in. Did I break any law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnpoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm having a small moral crisis - I was driving down a road looking for a way to turn around and spied a u-turn a little later than I would have liked and had to brake a bit to take it, and when I did I heard a screech and saw a car rear-end the car that had been behind me. I saw that the damage was minimal and both drivers were perfectly fine, and then, after hesitating and not knowing what to do, I drove on because traffic was building behind me.

Now, I wasn't touched by any other car and I didn't brake very hard - I had only been going about 30 (in a 35) and it was definitely legal to make that U-Turn. I'm fairly sure all the fault lies with the car that rear-ended the car behind me (probably going too fast and following too close) but I still regret not stopping or going back. I mean, I doubt it would have done much good... and what if they had ganged up and blamed me regardless of guilt?

...Not trying to make excuses, just trying to fix this uncertainty in my gut. I didn't "hit and run" if I didn't hit anything, right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
With that said, I would let your insurance company know about this. Not filing a claim, but just notify them of the possibility of a claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">