• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to plea to a non-moving violation, is it possible to reach a deal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cardinalsfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I recently received a ticket for driving with an expired inspection sticker, (NJ 39: 8-1). I've decided to bring it to court instead of just paying the fine with the hope of pleading down to a non-moving violation for insurance purposes. I'm fearful of my premium being raised if I admit guilt by paying the ticket. Because of some prior moving violations my premium is pretty high. What are the chances of the prosecutor/judge working with me to change the violation and what should I say to help my cause. Thanks in advance!

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I recently received a ticket for driving with an expired inspection sticker, (NJ 39: 8-1). I've decided to bring it to court instead of just paying the fine with the hope of pleading down to a non-moving violation for insurance purposes. I'm fearful of my premium being raised if I admit guilt by paying the ticket. Because of some prior moving violations my premium is pretty high. What are the chances of the prosecutor/judge working with me to change the violation and what should I say to help my cause. Thanks in advance!
What do you suggest the violation be instead?

Get your vehicle inspected and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

Cardinalsfan

Why would you think your insurance rates would be affected by an expired inspection???
I would hope it wouldn't but I have my doubts, I guess its up to the disgression of the insurance company because its a no-point violation.. If anyone knows definitively I'd appreciate it greatly.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Insurance companies do not pay any attention to DMV points.

I can't see any insurance company paying much attention to an expired inspection.

Cardinalsfan

Insurance companies do not pay any attention to DMV points.

I can't see any insurance company paying much attention to an expired inspection.
OK Highwayman I hope you are right, I will have to do more research before I have to go to court, but thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">