• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I am under 18, is it possible to appeal a speeding ticket and win?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChanMoreland

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Massachusetts, and the speeding ticket penalties for a minor are huge. I was going 80 on the masspike, but I was passing someone on the left lane and immediately started to slow down afterwards and then he had pulled me over. If he wrote he used "lidar and estimation" would I have any chance in appealing it?

davidmcbeth3

What do you mean by "appealing". Do you mean going to trial? Lidar is a speed measuring device ; estimate is a visual estimate. I think in MA, they cannot convict you just based on the visual estimate.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Massachusetts, and the speeding ticket penalties for a minor are huge. I was going 80 on the masspike, but I was passing someone on the left lane and immediately started to slow down afterwards and then he had pulled me over. If he wrote he used "lidar and estimation" would I have any chance in appealing it?

You're not going to successfully appeal based purely upon your age, no - which is what your question seems to indicate?

I_Got_Banned

Which code section were you cited for?

The statutory speed limit on the Massachusetts turnpike is 65mph. (http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section17A). Also, I am aware of only 1 state (Washington State) where you are allowed to exceed the speed limit while passing and Massachusetts isn't it.

Based on what you've posted so far, it looks like you got caught fair and square and while you are free to contest it, appeal it (or whatever it is you're trying to do), I wouldn't get my hope up too high if I were you. Instead, I'd start saving some money to pay the fine!

davidmcbeth3

Which code section were you cited for?

The statutory speed limit on the Massachusetts turnpike is 65mph. (

Based on what you've posted so far, it looks like you got caught fair and square and while you are free to contest it, appeal it (or whatever it is you're trying to do), I wouldn't get my hope up too high if I were you. Instead, I'd start saving some money to pay the fine![/QUOTE]

It looks like the OP did drive that fast but the state still needs to prove it :). So, I don't know if the poster should just rush over and pay this road tax so quickly. LIDAR measurements can be kept out of the court record in some cases; depends on the prosecutor & documentation regarding the LIDAR unit.

Recommend discovery at least occur to get the LIDAR supporting documentation.

I have been in several LIDAR cases; I have been able to keep out the LIDAR reading in every one or at least weaken the evidence severely.

If the OP told the cop that the OP was going 80 MPH then all hope is lost I am afraid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">