• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If you go to court for a traffic ticket in NYC do they usually please bargain?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fstep2

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New York (NYC)

I know they do in NJ, you get to talk to the prosecutor and they cut you a deal but in NYC (correct me if i'm wrong) you don't get to talk to a prosecutor in municipal court. So does it make sense to go and try to plea bargain or will the judge just fine you the same as if you pled guilty and add some court fees on top of it?

Tickets are for running a red light and talking on cell phone. If it makes a difference i have 2 points on my license and never had a ticket in NY before. I don't care if i get points (no car in the city) i just want the fine reduced so i would need to plea bargain something like pleading guilty for 1 charge in exchange for the other being dismissed.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Traffic cases in NYC are adjudicated by the DMV Traffic Violations Bureau. This is an administrative tribunal and there is NO plea bargaining.

You'll be on the hook for 5 points on your NY driving record and and close to $300 in fines and surcharges.

Good luck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Not sure how you have two points already on your license but never got a ticket in NY before. Are you licensed in another state?

fstep2

Not sure how you have two points already on your license but never got a ticket in NY before. Are you licensed in another state?
yes i am in New Jersey.

So no sense in even trying to argue it? The heavy traffic was the reason i got stuck in the intersection when the light turned red but i suppose it's my word against the pigs? do the cops often miss court in the city?

You Are Guilty

yes i am in New Jersey.

So no sense in even trying to argue it? The heavy traffic was the reason i got stuck in the intersection when the light turned red but i suppose it's my word against the pigs? do the cops often miss court in the city?
You do know that there are active (and retired) officers giving advice here, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">