• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL - "Following Too Closely" ticket, options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cloke

Got pulled over last night ("Black Wednesday") before heading out with my friends to some bars, I of course being the DD. Just got my new car that very day, Mazda3. No other cars around, I was behind the cop and we were turning left onto the road and we were both in the left lane. I noticed cop was slowing down to maybe about 20-25 mph and going at that steady pace. I had kept up with him at a reasonable distance for maybe 10 seconds, but since he was going slow I signaled and turned right to keep up with the 35 mph limit. Passed him up, once I did that he pulls up behind me and pulls me over.

Was very rude and he seemed like he was out to get me, he was asking me why am I in a hurry (which I wasn't as I was going the SPEED LIMIT when I passed him up). He told me that just because a police officer is driving slow doesn't mean I need to pass him up. I explained the situation to him calmly that I was making sure on my speedometer that I wasn't exceeding the limit, and that it was not my intention to follow too close to him, I assumed he would be accelerating. I really didn't think I was that close but he said he didn't see my headlights (which who knows if it's true). He told me not to argue with him.

In my mind ticket was not justified whatsoever. What options may I have available when I head into court? I really want to fight this ticket.

Last edited:

Cloke

Cute, how can I fight this ticket though? I have an option of not getting conviction and doing traffic school for $105 but I do NOT want to go this route and let them get away with this.

What would I be able to claim? Is claiming that I was expecting him to accelerate as it was a 35 mph zone and he must have been going about 20 a valid claim? Someone help please, not thread crap.

JohnBLZ

Cute, how can I fight this ticket though? I have an option of not getting conviction and doing traffic school for $105 but I do NOT want to go this route and let them get away with this.

What would I be able to claim? Is claiming that I was expecting him to accelerate as it was a 35 mph zone and he must have been going about 20 a valid claim? Someone help please, not thread crap.

Intent has nothing to do with it. You were either following too closely or you weren't. If you wish to contest it find evidence to the contrary.

You're innocent until proven guilty, but the sworn testimony of a law enforcement officer will trump your protest to the contrary unless you can find evidence that he was incorrect for one reason or another.

If I were you I'd do traffic school and consider it a cheap lesson. But that's just me..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">