• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL-I am 16 yr old f Ticket for no insurance on my dads car I wasn't aware.My fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

asm_2003

I have been ticketed once for speeding through a school zone, unaware it was neccessary. In that town they target teenagers. For that I was on 6mo court supervision and fined 220(in court)(APRIL) I was going 34 in a reg. 35 except for the school zone of 20. About two weeks I recieved a ticket for faliure to stop(I hollywood stopped). It was my father's vehicle and he didn't have insurance, and I wasn't aware of this. The failure to stop is only $75 however I have to make a court date for insurance. What can I do to avoid a large fine, me being only 16. neither I nor my father have money for a fine. HELP!!! I am tired of being a target.

A

asm_2003

Illinois-Well I have already went to traffic court for the school speed zone ticket, I am in my last month of court supervision for that. I recieved failure to stop on Oct. 31, and I can go to pay that without court. I also recieved a ticket for no insurance which I requires a court appearance. It is my father's vehicle and I was anaware of the insurance status. We will no longer have a car in a matter of days. I do not have money to pay for a large fine, neither does my father. I was wondering what the chances of a liscense suspinsion would be, and if I would have a better chance in court if I had some insurance, although I do not have a car to insure and will not be driving.
Thank you

A

alax

If you were my child, license suspension would not be a problem for the law. You are too immature to drive. You need to grow up and stop blaming others for the mistakes you knowingly and willingly made. didn't know school zones were slower--what a load of 'not me', 'not me'.
I hope you don't get a license to drive in my state until you are 21 and can prove you are an adult thinker. I don't want you killing my children as they leave school, or as we drive through a green light.

A

asm_2003

Alex the 26 yr. old mindless idiot!

For one Alex, do you know who I am at all? NO! So how do you get off telling me who I am. For your information a rambling idiot at 26 should not be on a website that uses dedicated INTELLIGENT people to reply. You are obviously not qualified. I am not looking for your mindless babble. For one, I am not a child killer, don't try to put such a lable on me. The children did not have to be in school for another 45 minutes, do you know what this means?! No children were present at all. THANK YOU! but because it was 7:00am it was under effect. Now you tell me the exact regulations for that law. I was going below the regular highway speed limit at the time. Next time you want to come on this website ask your childrenbecause I am sure they could give a smarter reply than you just did.

Hi asm_2003,

http://www.legis.state.il.us/ilcs/ch625/ch625act5articles/ch625act5Sub39.htm explains the mandatory insurance provisions in Illinois:

Sec. 7-601. Required liability insurance policy.
(a) No person shall operate, register or maintain registration of, and no owner shall permit another person to operate, register or maintain registration of, a motor vehicle designed to be used on a public highway unless the motor vehicle is covered by a liability insurance policy.

You are also required by law to carry evidence of insurance in your car.

I'm afraid neither you nor your father have a defense. In my state offenders are often given the option of community service in lieu of fines and sometimes fines are lowered or tickets dismissed if you can show you have current insurance coverage. I'm not sure on IL laws regarding these options.

I hope you don't mind if I express my opinion. If you look at the reality of your situations, 1) going 14 mph over the speed limit in a school zone, and 2) using 'unawareness' as an excuse, it's clear that you are, at the very least, an inexperienced driver or at the worst, you have no respect for the law. I prefer to think you are just young and have a lot to learn. Driving is a privilege that comes with huge responsibilities.

Law enforcement officers are on the lookout for those people who are breaking the law. In order to ensure that you are no longer a target I suggest you drive responsibly obeying all the laws, then you won't have anything to worry about and you'll have more money in your pocket.

Although it's water under the bridge, this section http://www.legis.state.il.us/ilcs/ch625/ch625act5articles/ch625act5Sub51.htm covers school zones. The 7 a.m. time is in effect because parents are dropping them off on the way to work and to accommodate public transportation schedules. It's quite reasonable to believe that kids would be arriving at school between 7 and 7:45...they don't all arrive 10 minutes before class starts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">