• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL speeding ticket - 87 in a 55 zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BD380

What is the name of your state? Illinois.

I was nabbed on my way to work doing 87mph in a 55mph zone on I-90 eastbound just before I-290 by the Illinois State Police. The officer used lidar/laser and clocked me from a distance of 1146 feet. Obviously, a mandatory court appearance is required. The last ticket I received was in June 2005 for "driving in the wrong lane", and I received 90 days of supervision and had to attend a 4-hour traffic school session. Now, I need to know what my options are. The officer stated I could have paid the ticket on the spot, for a fee of $200, which I didn't have on me at the time. Does this particular speeding violation fall under the reckless driving category? What kind of fines should I be expecting to pay once my court date rolls around? I can NOT afford to have my license suspended, as I am a federal officer and I work 50 miles from home. Losing driving privileges is not an option. Is it likely that the judge will issue me a fine, put me on supervision, and assign me to the 8-hour traffic school session? Any input is appreciated.

CarrieT

BD380 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois.

. The officer stated I could have paid the ticket on the spot, for a fee of $200, which I didn't have on me at the time. .
Oh wow. Do you mean you could have given the OFFICER the money for the ticket right then and there? Now THAT is a law I would try to have taken off the books! What an opening for embezzlement, false ticketing... oh the list is endless!! Please tell me Ive misunderstood what you mean!!

Carrie

BD380

CarrieT said:
Oh wow. Do you mean you could have given the OFFICER the money for the ticket right then and there? Now THAT is a law I would try to have taken off the books! What an opening for embezzlement, false ticketing... oh the list is endless!! Please tell me Ive misunderstood what you mean!!

Carrie
His exact words were "if you don't want me to take your license as bond, you can pay $200 cash or check, no credit cards".

Then the license was used as bond. If you belonged to AAA you could have presented the membership card as bond and held on to your license. It's good up to $1000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">