• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL State Trooper Marked Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Quantumleap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I had received a speeding ticket showing 73 in a 55. The guy behind me was pulled over also. This was a motorcycle Illinois State Police Officer who used no radar. He put a P in a circle atop the ticket. My zip code, hair and eye color are all wrong. Not even a minute later, he had another party pulled over. I was driving with the flow of traffic and feel I was targeted. With the wrong information on the ticket, can I plead not guilty due to technicalities? How can he prove I was speeding?

I asked the cop what marked meant and he explained that it meant he was driving an IL State Police labeled vehicle.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on the information you presented, you have no defense to speeding. You may be able to ask for some sort of traffic school, or other type of program to keep this off your record.

seniorjudge

Q: With the wrong information on the ticket, can I plead not guilty due to technicalities?

A: All the law is one big technicality. Yes, you can plead not guilty and have a trial; if you feel like this is a defense, then use it. I doubt that it will work.

Q: How can he prove I was speeding?

A: One way is that he is a trained expert; obviously, I don't know how he did it in your case.

I_Got_Banned

I had received a speeding ticket showing 73 in a 55. The guy behind me was pulled over also.... Not even a minute later, he had another party pulled over.
Sounds like an officer who was out to do his job. How dare he!!!!

He put a P in a circle atop the ticket. . . . who used no radar. . . . How can he prove I was speeding?

I asked the cop what marked meant and he explained that it meant he was driving an IL State Police labeled vehicle.
The "P" could also mean that he "Paced" you... As in drove at your speed, glanced down at his speedometer and came up with a number. . . .

I was driving with the flow of traffic and feel I was targeted.
"Targeted"?
You most certainly were targeted... it wasn't because of some personal vendetta he has against you.

You, as well as the two other drivers he pulled over, were targeted based on the way you drove, the speed at which you were driving... He did make an inference to that on the citation; correct?

My guess is that was probably the first time you'd seen him, the first time he'd seen you. . . If you were to ask him if he was holding a grudge against you, I bet you his answer will be "No"!

So were you targeted?
Yes...
Wrongly or unfairly?
I highly doubt it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">