• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL turning signal color?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr.Duck

What is the name of your state?Illinois

hey guys, i was just wonder, what color do the turning signals need to be in illinois? i heard as long as they are orange, clear or yellow its ok, but anything else is illegal, can someone shed some light on this topic?

thanks

Bravo8

I can't speak directly to Illinois law, but equipment for vehicles (being manufactured) is regulated by federal regulation, and many (if not all) states have adopted similar equipement requirements. Ever wonder why equipment on new vehicles is the same regardless of what state they are sold in?

As a general rule, rear turn signals must be amber or red. Front turn signals must be amber. Clear is a no-no, as is any other color.

You Are Guilty

Bravo8 said:
I can't speak directly to Illinois law, but equipment for vehicles (being manufactured) is regulated by federal regulation, and many (if not all) states have adopted similar equipement requirements. Ever wonder why equipment on new vehicles is the same regardless of what state they are sold in?

As a general rule, rear turn signals must be amber or red. Front turn signals must be amber. Clear is a no-no, as is any other color.
Heh. I was just about to answer "red, yellow or green only" when your response made me realize the OP meant turning lights on cars, not turning lights on streets. Must be Friday :eek:

Last edited:

racer72

Federal standards for rear vehicle illumination allows red, yellow, or amber. Turn signal may be any of the 3 colors, brake and taillights must be red. The only location a white or clear light can be used is for license plate illumination and the effective light cannot exceed 5 feet from the rear of the vehicle. Vehicle side illumination must be red on the back half of the vehicle, yellow or amber on the forward. Front turn signals must be amber or yellow. Red lights are specifically banned from the front half of motor vehicles below the hoodline and green, blue, and purple light are not allowed on passenger cars and light trucks.

wirry1422

Good explanation, with the exception that white lights are not just permissible for lighting the rear license plate. Two white lights are also permissible on each side of the rear of passenger vehicles for the indication of reverse motion, and with the caveat that the white reverse lights are never to be lit while the vehicle is in forward motion.

I

itsacatsworld

Red in the front, blue anywhere and clear or white light in the rear is ILLEGAL as only law enforement have this authority.

Bravo8

Pennsylvania also allows for the use of clear parking lights, as long as they do not also function as turn signals.

I guess I should have mentioned yellow AND amber, but I consider them to be pretty much the same.

Does anyone have a link to the specific federal regs regarding this? I can't seem to find it anywhere (all I can find is Motor Carrier Regs).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">