• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'll get my ticket in the mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

almostsm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Never gotten a ticket in my life. I got pulled over, sheriff's officer took my license. When he came back to the car he told me he didn't have time to write me out a citation so he was going to mail me one. That was almost 2 weeks ago and I have not recieved anything in the mail, nor has anything showed up online at the circuit court access. When should I expect my ticket? Am I still even going to get a ticket? Why the delay? I would think he would have just written it out at the end of his work day and had it sent out with the outgoing mail at the station.

almostsm

I have not yet called the sheriff's office. I don't even remember the officer's name. Should I just call, give them my name and say, "I was supposed to get this ticket that never came..."?

Thanks.

almostsm

~~~Ever hear the saying "Let sleeping dogs ly?"~~~

Those were my exact intentions. I don't plan to call the sheriff and "remind" them to give me a ticket if the officer forgot all about it (or was just too lazy to do it later.) I just thought for sure he was going to give me one because our conversation went something like this:

Him: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: One of two reasons.... my license is expired... ... ... ... or I may have been speeding.
Him: MAY have been?! You were doing 71. You didn't see me following you?
Me: Well yeah, but I didn't know you were a cop (looks in the rear view mirror.) Are you marked?
Him: Uh, yeah.
Me: I just thought you were someone following me just to fu%k with me (those were my exact words.)

He gave me a look of disbelief, took my license, and went back to his car. When he came back he said: "I don't have time to write out a citation so I'm going to mail it. What's your telephone number?" I give him my number. Then he says, "You'll get the citation in the mail, and on it will be a court date for next month- I can't remember the date off the top of my head, but it will be on the citation. Do you have any questions?"

I told him, "No, but can I get out of my can to buckly in my kid?" (My 4-year-old had unbuckled himself when the van stopped because he thought we were getting out.) He told me yes, waited for me to do it, and then I drove away.

This was on the high way.

I thought for sure I was going to get a ticket, and still believe I'm going to get it. I don't want to put those rocks in their ears if they've forgotten, but I also don't want to miss the potential court date either.

Wouldn't this type of thing show up in the circuit courts?

Hey There

Municipal courts and Circuit courts hear traffic cases.

Issuing the Uniform Traffic Citation:
a. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the officer shall issue the violator the Defendant’s Copy of the UTC. The officer shall provide the violator with the following information:
(1) The specific violation.
(2) The initial court appearance date.
(3) Whether court appearance is optional or mandatory.
(4) Whether the motorist may enter a plea in absence or pay the fine by mail.
(5) Information concerning the consequences of failing to pay the fine and/or failing to appear for court.
b. If the officer is unable to issue the violation, the Uniform Traffic Citation may be mailed to the violator as long as it is done so in compliance with departmental guidelines._____________________________________
There should be a time limit when a ticket is issued by mail but I haven't located one.
(Source: Kenosha Police Dept. Policy website)

The officer might have decided not to issue a ticket after all. I'm certain he noted that you made sure your 4 year old had his seat belt on before driving off.:)

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">