• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to have a tablet mounted to the dashboard displaying google maps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Business101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am living in southern Cali and traffic is a nightmare. I use google maps on my cell phone to find choke points on the road and go around them whenever possible. But 3.5 inch screen is not cutting it anymore as google maps started to show traffic on surface streets as well. I'd like employ my android 7 inch tablet with a proper car mount and run google maps on this while it is connected to google servers via my cell phone provided wifi network inside the car. I know using cell phones even for maps in the car while in motion is illegal in CA. How about tablets or other dashboard mounted devices ?

I will assume, tablets are a no-go. Then, hypothetically speaking, when one gets pulled over, is it illegal to have such a device but it is not turned on ? You know you can shut them down pretty quickly.

OHRoadwarrior

The biggest problem with Android tablets for navigation is you must keep them low enough they do not obstruct your view. This tends to create GPS signal problems. You would need an external GPS that can interface and provide a good signal. It seems the electronics makers are working this angle hard to keep a good combo from hitting the market. For example you can buy a great GPS for Windows systems, buy who wants a Windows tablet. A few tablets have well rated internal GPS units however I have not seen them rated at dashboard level.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The biggest problem with Android tablets for navigation is you must keep them low enough they do not obstruct your view. This tends to create GPS signal problems. You would need an external GPS that can interface and provide a good signal. It seems the electronics makers are working this angle hard to keep a good combo from hitting the market. For example you can buy a great GPS for Windows systems, buy who wants a Windows tablet. A few tablets have well rated internal GPS units however I have not seen them rated at dashboard level.
External GPS units are platform independent.

Business101

Well, my problem is not really using it as a GPS unit, although in some cases it might be useful, but still, my cell phone's GPS have never failed me so far. So the GPS of the tablet is not my biggest worry. I need the traffic information from google maps, displayed on a large screen device. If necessary, I can flick the screen left and right few times while I drive, to show me a relevant map of where I am, if the GPS fails totally.

My concern is, will I get pulled over using such a contraption ? Or in case I get pulled over for a broken tail light, am I going to get into trouble, for having such a setup in my vehicle ? I am eyeing a new dashboard mount for tablets up to 12 inches and it keeps it well below the eyesight, hanging mostly in front of the car stereo. So, total view blockage will not be an issue.

FlyingRon

The Tesla S (when it's not on fire) displays google maps on it's main display (one of the option).

I've got a google glass which sort of works reasonably for navigation.

OHRoadwarrior

With a bit of research you can find a tablet that tethers to your smart phone and will allow maps to show up on the tablet for navigation based on the phones connection.

Business101

With a bit of research you can find a tablet that tethers to your smart phone and will allow maps to show up on the tablet for navigation based on the phones connection.
I am gonna do exactly what you are talking about. I just don't want to have another run-in with CHP (CA hwy patrol)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">