• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal lane change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Timmy Joe

Oregon. While I was driving home I was heading west on I84 heading to I5 south. I notice an a Police bike on my butt, I mean he was riding my bumper. Im thinking Im not speeding, all my lights and turn signals work, Why is this cop riding my butt? Anyway I notice a car wanting in my lane so I moved one lane to the left and I used my turn signal to let this other car over. The officer then moves one lane more to the left and goes by me. Im thinking whewww . Ok so now were closing in on the I5 North south exit I use the I5 south exit and Im behind the pack of 8-10 cars doing the same. The officer is just behind the lead car and traffic slows way down below the speed limit so I move out to the passing lane and go around everyone and no sooner that I go by the cop he lights me up and I pull over. He said I made an illegal lane change by not signalling for 100 feet before changing lanes and also said that when I was driving earlier (before the freeway) he said I didnt use my turn signal to change lanes. So he cited me with 2 tickets =$580.00. I told the officer that I did use my turn signals. My mom who was riding in the car with me confirmed to the officer I indeed did use my signal. the officer didnt care. So Im now very angry about this. I beleive he was stereotyping me because I have a Honda Prelude with an exhaust and tinted windows and its lowered. Any advice I can get would be great thank you. Tim

Considering the amount of money at stake ($580! For a flippin’ ticket!! Not to mention the likely surcharges on your insurance), I say get a local traffic attorney and let him handle it. You were guilty of the most common traffic violation of all: irritation of cop.
It’s unfair, but it’s the reality of driving today.

jondalar

James Young said:
It’s unfair, but it’s the reality of driving today.
Oh! But I thought you didn't care about the reality! I thought you preached only how the system should be! Suprise, suprise!! :eek:

jondalar said:
Oh! But I thought you didn't care about the reality! I thought you preached only how the system should be! Suprise, suprise!!
The political reality is why I want to modernize the system of traffic control/enforcement.

Happy Trails

Timmy Joe said:
Oregon. While I was driving home I was heading west on I84 heading to I5 south. I notice an a Police bike on my butt, I mean he was riding my bumper. Im thinking Im not speeding, all my lights and turn signals work, Why is this cop riding my butt? Anyway I notice a car wanting in my lane so I moved one lane to the left and I used my turn signal to let this other car over. The officer then moves one lane more to the left and goes by me. Im thinking whewww . Ok so now were closing in on the I5 North south exit I use the I5 south exit and Im behind the pack of 8-10 cars doing the same. The officer is just behind the lead car and traffic slows way down below the speed limit so I move out to the passing lane and go around everyone and no sooner that I go by the cop he lights me up and I pull over. He said I made an illegal lane change by not signalling for 100 feet before changing lanes and also said that when I was driving earlier (before the freeway) he said I didnt use my turn signal to change lanes. So he cited me with 2 tickets =$580.00. I told the officer that I did use my turn signals. My mom who was riding in the car with me confirmed to the officer I indeed did use my signal. the officer didnt care. So Im now very angry about this. I beleive he was stereotyping me because I have a Honda Prelude with an exhaust and tinted windows and its lowered. Any advice I can get would be great thank you. Tim
Are you sure your signals were working?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">