• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Lane Change in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CADriver

California

About an hour ago I'm driving down the freeway in the fast lane going about 70 and when I check my passenger side mirrorand its folded in (could only see my passenger seat). When I look back at the road I'm going out of the line towards the divider so I get back into the lane very fast. A coupe of seconds later I decide to get off of the freeway so I can fix my mirror so I signal the change lanes and proceed to merge 1 by 1 until I'm over. I never skipped over one or anything AND I looked back to make sure I wasn't cutting anyone off each time. The officer followed me off of the freeway and proceeded to give me the ticket and informed me that I could contest it and this and that. My question is has anyone had this happen before or does anyone know a good way of proving that there wasn't an unsafe lane change. I'm 18 years old, I've had my license over 2 years (got it less then 3 weeks after my 16th birthday). I've never had a moving violation or even been pulled over. My backup plan is to take driving school but I don't think I deserved the ticket since it's for the lane changing to get off of the freeway, NOT for swerving towards the divider. Thanks.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California

About an hour ago I'm driving down the freeway in the fast lane going about 70 and when I check my passenger side mirrorand its folded in (could only see my passenger seat). When I look back at the road I'm going out of the line towards the divider so I get back into the lane very fast. A coupe of seconds later I decide to get off of the freeway so I can fix my mirror so I signal the change lanes and proceed to merge 1 by 1 until I'm over. I never skipped over one or anything AND I looked back to make sure I wasn't cutting anyone off each time. The officer followed me off of the freeway and proceeded to give me the ticket and informed me that I could contest it and this and that. My question is has anyone had this happen before or does anyone know a good way of proving that there wasn't an unsafe lane change. I'm 18 years old, I've had my license over 2 years (got it less then 3 weeks after my 16th birthday). I've never had a moving violation or even been pulled over. My backup plan is to take driving school but I don't think I deserved the ticket since it's for the lane changing to get off of the freeway, NOT for swerving towards the divider. Thanks.
I'd plan on that traffic school. Obviously, the police officer saw something in your driving that he felt was an unsafe lane change.

garrula lingua

In many jurisdictions, traffic school is offered to those who are pleading guilty.

When a ticket is contested, it goes to trial and you either win (ergo no traffic school) or you are sentenced by the Judge (usually, no traffic school allowed at that point).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">