• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Left Turn Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miner2049er

State - CA.

On January 18, 2005, about 1:30 AM, I pulled up to a stop sign in Pasadena, CA. It was a one way street with three lanes – one left turn lane (with an arrow in the road indicating thus), and two other lanes.

Alongside my car, a friend was in their car in the the left turn lane, and I was in the next, middle lane (to the right of them.)

My intended direction was to go straight over, to enter a south-bound freeway entrance on the other side, but my friend said through our open windows that I needed to go left, to head towards the other north-bound freeway entrance.

I looked for traffic, and there was none, so with it safe to enter the road, I turned my car left in front of my friend’s car, and onto the road.

A few seconds later I was stopped by the California Highway patrol, and given a ticket for an illegal left turn. The officer also indicated on the citation that my driver licence had expired a few weeks previously.

A few days later I renewed my driver licence.

On the foot of my yellow traffic ticket (“NOTICE TO APPEAR” on top) was written: WITHOUT ADMITTING GUILT, I PROMISE TO APPEAR AT THE TIME AND PLACE INDICATED BELOW then there was my signature, then the officer had written in the date/time “031005 0830 AM” and then then the address of the Superior Court in Pasadena.

Following the incident, I wanted to know some things, such as what was going to happen on March 10, and also what were my potential fine(s). So on…

Jan 23, 2005 - I called (626) 744-4611 and spoke with Maria who said the details were not yet in the the computer, and to call back in 5 days. She said she was located in the city attorney’s office, and that she was the only Maria there.

Jan 30 and Feb 01 - I spoke to the assistant court administrator at (626) 356-5258, and on both occasions was told it was not yet in the system.

Feb 16 - I called (626) 356-5265 and spoke with Justin in the Traffic Dept. of Pasadena Court, and was told “nothing yet”.

Feb 23 – I called CHP (California Highway Patrol) and spoke to Ann who transferred me to officer Guittierez (#1566) who said it was in Pasadena City Attorney’s office on Feb 08.

Same day, I called Pasadena Court and spoke with a Mr. Ramos, who told me “not in system”. He then said “I will try imaging” (nobody else had suggested this before.) I then spoke to supervisor Maria Camacho, who said I should call Criminal cases (626) 296-8100 and also that CHP (California Highway Patrol) have a year to file citation. I spoke to Dawn in Criminal, who said I should be talking to Traffic.

Incidentally, every time I have visited the online citation details lookup at:

https://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/Traffic/index.asp

it has been unable to pull up my citation. I have been doing this every week since I was stopped.

As you can see, I have not been able to obtain ANY information over the phone from any of the relevant authorities.

I’ve done a little basic research on the internet, but there’s much I wish to find out…

(1) How should I plead? The expired licence was indeed out of date a few weeks, but with the illegal left turn should I plead (a) not-guilty, because the driver in the left turn lane indicated for me to turn in front of them? or (b) guilty, but with mitigating circumstances?

(2) Should I have got a courtesy notice in the mail?

(3) What exactly is happening on March 10? (The “promise to appear” date on my citation.) Is that my “appearance date”, when I appear before the judge to give my plea?

(4) If not, when do I appear before a judge?

(5) When/how do I obtain a Trial by Declaration?

(6) What are my potential fines/bail amount(s)?

(7) Where are my citation details i.e. why have court employees never been able to find them when I called, and why doesn’t the online system show anything?

(8) How can I obtain the citing officer’s notes from the time I was stopped?

(9) How can I request the officer be present at my trial / appearance?

(10) How do I get any sort of extension?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">