• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal squealing of tires

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Endoflow

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Hello people. I got a ticket the other day for squealing my tires. I was at a stop sign with my little brother and sister and proceded to go after I stopped. I pressed the gas petal and the car took off and the tires squealed "for four seconds" according to officer jim...heh.... It was seriously an accident. I plan to plea not guilty and take it to court. First off, is this a good idea? Second, how much will my court costs be if I'm found GUILTY? Thirdly, what are my chances of wining. Lastly, any extra advice?

Thanks for any advice, any is appreciated.

racer72

1. Depends. If you actually did it you will look like an idiot in court. If you didn't, what proof do you have?

2. Up to $2000.

3. Probably not good.

4. Hire an attorney. For $1000, he will look like the idiot instead of you. And if he is having a good day, he might even get the citation dismissed.

W

wanaagnes

If its not a violation that you can get points for than just pay the fine. If you can get points for it talk to the prosecutor get the charges reduced. Trust me its best way to go.

If you have money to burn, make a case out of it. Get an automotive expert on the stand and have him testify on the stand that your car is not powerful enough to make the car squeak for 4 seconds. Make it fun;)

K

Kaz the Minotau

What kind of car do you have? What engine? Standard transmission? How old are you? Black marks on the road? You probably got a break...he probably could have also written you for making unreasonable noise and maybe criminal mischief for damaging/tampering with another's property (the road). The statutes might be different in your state but you get the idea...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">