• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhiner

What is the name of your state? WV

I got stopped for making an illegal turn. It is a right on red, but not during the hours of 6am and 6pm. This happened the day after "fall back," and the clock in my car said 6:50pm instead of 5:50pm. I stopped at the red light, looked at the clock to verify the correct time, and made a controlled right turn. There was not much traffic on the road at the time, even. My mistake on the clock, and I told the officer I thought it was later. Also, there are two things wrong on the citation:

- She incorrectly marked the road I was on as a city street (High Street and Walnut), when in fact it was a US Route (US Route 119).
- She failed to indicate whether I violated a WV State Code or Municipal Ordinance, just wrote a reference number, even though there is a selection box for each.

I mean this is like a hundred dollars we're talking about! I am probably going to fight this thing anyways and just want any tips you guys have to offer. Thank you.

cepe10

What is the name of your state? WV

I got stopped for making an illegal turn. It is a right on red, but not during the hours of 6am and 6pm. This happened the day after "fall back," and the clock in my car said 6:50pm instead of 5:50pm. I stopped at the red light, looked at the clock to verify the correct time, and made a controlled right turn. There was not much traffic on the road at the time, even. My mistake on the clock, and I told the officer I thought it was later. Also, there are two things wrong on the citation:

- She incorrectly marked the road I was on as a city street (High Street and Walnut), when in fact it was a US Route (US Route 119).
- She failed to indicate whether I violated a WV State Code or Municipal Ordinance, just wrote a reference number, even though there is a selection box for each.

I mean this is like a hundred dollars we're talking about! I am probably going to fight this thing anyways and just want any tips you guys have to offer. Thank you.
You may be in luck if the street she identified doesn't have the "no right turn" sign:)

if it is code it will be in this section...
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/17C/masterfrmFrm.htm

signs with qualifications like that also have to be posted properly as well... see the mutcd

Interesting side note while looking at your case, in WV you do not have to stop when entering the higway from a driveway....

§17C-9-4. Vehicle entering highway from private road or driveway.
The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a highway from a private road or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on said highway.

moburkes

What sign are you referring to, cepe? She said that the sign is no right on red from 6am to 6pm.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Keep in mind that a named street can also be a state highway.
ie: Main Street may also be State Highway 69. Either could be correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">