• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal U-turn and my possible options.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whisena

So, I was driving down south on south La Brea Ave today just right past Beverly Blvd. I drive into a two way turning lane (2 Solid Yello line on outside and dashed on the inside) and made a U-turn. A cop saw this and pulled me over and cited me for making an illegal Uturn in business district.

The exact violation he wrote is "22102 VC S/B LT/T Lane NEG" (In the first line)
and second line, he wrote "U/T Bus/Dist, Across DBL Yel's"

So I would assume what he mean in translation is that 22102 VC South bound left turning lane neg? U turn in business district across double yellow lines.

My first question is that on the second line, it stated that I made a U turn over double yellow line instead of left turning lane. (Even though the first line states left turn lane, but the second line states double yellow line ). Could I argue that this as a written mistake and request the ticket to be thrown out?

My second question is that the parking structure I was going to pull into has their drive way blocked off. Could I argue that I was forced into making A U-turn under that circumstance otherwise I have to pulled toward a blocked drive way, and make a three point turn which further slows down traffic and endangers myself and the others?

Thanks for answering.

CdwJava

You can try to argue anything you want ... if it is the truth. Given your phrasing, it sounds as if you are floating trial balloons that are fabrications. It is a BAAAAD idea to lie to the court - especially since the officer will testify to what he saw and there may even be video.

However, here is what the section says:

22102. No person in a business district shall make a U-turn, except
at an intersection, or on a divided highway where an opening has
been provided in accordance with Section 21651. This turning movement
shall be made as close as practicable to the extreme left-hand edge
of the lanes moving in the driver's direction of travel immediately
prior to the initiation of the turning movement, when more than one
lane in the direction of travel is present.

Unless you made a U-turn at an intersection or at a break where it was otherwise permitted, you will lose.

Whisena

I see, thanks you for your timely response. I am wondering if I should employ service like xxx.com to contest a ticket. If I do employ their service, what are the likely hood that they can dismiss the case and I will not be subjected to fines and points to my driving record? Or is it better for me just pay the fine and be done with it since they likely wouldn't make any difference given that the ticket is pretty solid?

Last edited by a moderator:

CdwJava

If you intend to pay several hundred dollars for ticket defense, make sure they are local. Though, keep in mind that you could be paying more than the fines and fees combined. But, if it is that important to keep it off your record - and you don't want to do traffic school - that is an option.

Most such ticket attorney groups simply plead the cite down in those jurisdictions where that might be possible, they don't tend to challenge the ticket and prevail. It's most often simply a convenience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">