• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Construction Zone - Ticket for 50 in a 55

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JakeH6

Today I was driving my car with out-of-state plates through a small Illinois town/speed trap. The road was four lanes--one of which was closed in the direction that I was traveling. No workers were present. At the beginning of the construction zone, speed zone signs were posted at 35 mph (after going back and looking, these signs also had orange "work zone" signs posted above and below). I proceeded to drive down the highway and signs on both sides of the road were posted as first, 45 mph and then, 55 mph. These were apparently the regular speed limits, but were not covered and appeared new as if posted for the construction zone (though they didn't say work zone). 45 and 55 mph were not unreasonable for the unmanned construction zone. Approximately 2.5 miles after the posted 35 mph signs and 0.5-1.5 miles after the two other posted speeds, I was pulled over by the local police and given "local ordinance" infraction ticket for speeding at 50 in a 35. So...I have several questions.

I was not the only one to misinterpret this speed zone. As I drove back through twice at 32-34 mph to take pictures, I was passed on the shoulder once and honked at multiple times (by Illinois drivers).

1) Am I being unreasonable in expecting that construction zones should have regular speed signs covered and construction zones posted more than once in a 6 mile construction zone? Is there any legal basis to back me?

2) The officer said that the "local ordinance" infraction wouldn't go on my record, but I've got some trust issues with what he tells me. Is this the case?

3) If I decide not to plead guilty, it appears my only option is trial. However, I live hours away and the cost to return and fight this would be more than the cost of the ticket. Is there any way to fight an out-of-state ticket by other means than being present at a trial (i.e. a written appeal?)?

4) If I do decide to take this to trial and lose, would it be possible to get socked with the $400 ticket that I could have gotten for speeding in a work zone (how benevolent of him)?

Thanks for any help. The ticket isn't that much, but I hate to see an officer who is opportunistic at best and unethical at worst get away from this without at least having my say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">