• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Suspended License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotrice1532

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Recently, I was invovled in an accident and the police notified me that I was driving on a suspended license, which I did not know.
I believe that the suspension occured because I had two moving violations within a 12 month period. However, I was never notified of this suspension and I did request for a court supervision for my second ticket to avoid suspension.
The last ticket was back in July.

My question is...
What is going to happen when I go to court?
Do I need a lawyer to represent me?

I_Got_Banned

the police notified me that I was driving on a suspended license
They "notified" you or they "cited" you? If it is the latter, what statute were you cited for?

I believe that the suspension occured because I had two moving violations within a 12 month period. However, I was never notified of this suspension and I did request for a court supervision for my second ticket to avoid suspension.
Regardless of what you "believe" or you've done, you need to find out WHY your license is suspended and what you need to do to get it reinstated. Contact your state's DMV to find out what is going on.

Also keep in mind that if your license is suspended, you auto insurance may have been cancelled or they may deny coverage of your claim. So this problem might be worse that what you will face in court re the driving while suspended charge. Contact you insurer to verify coverage.

Lastly, driving while suspended is a misdemeanor in most states. Not sure whether this applies to your situation or not!!!

gotrice1532

Im not sure exactly what cited means but he just told me that my license was suspended prior to the accident and ive been driving on a suspended license.

can i still get it reinstated? i am scheduled to go to court in a month for driving on a suspended license.

and the car insurance was under my dad's name and not mine. the car also wasnt mine, but my dads.

I_Got_Banned

Im not sure exactly what cited means
Cited means received a notice of violation, as in, received a ticket... Sounds to me like you were cited if you have to appear in court for the ticket.

can i still get it reinstated? i am scheduled to go to court in a month for driving on a suspended license.
Can you get it reinstated? I don't know... You'll have to find out why it was suspended and what you'll have to do to get it reinstated. Call the DMV and find out: Illinois DMV LOCATIONS & HOURS - IL DMV OFFICES - 4DMV.COM

and the car insurance was under my dad's name and not mine. the car also wasnt mine, but my dads.
Regardless of who's insurance it was, or who's car it was, insurance will not cover a claim nor will they pay for any damages if and when they find out that your license was suspended when you had the accident!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">