• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm 17 and got a speeding ticket!! HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shiftyshellshok

I live in northwest jersey.

I've only had my license for 2 days. I just got pulled over for speeding - I was going 49 in a 30. The glare from the sun restricted my view, and since the right lane was stopped at a red light and had just started to proceed, I figured my speed was only natural when I overtook them. I caught a glimpse of a 40 MPH sign when the glare dissappeared for a second, and figured I was ok, but I got pulled over.

I have a mandatory court appearace, facing a $105 fine.

Does anyone know how many points they'll put on my license, and if and how I can get off this? Do I require an attorney, and will my insurance skyrocket? I drive a red, 1998 monte carlo. PLEASE HELP!!! I'm feaking out...

cepe10

I think it will be 4 points....

http://www.nj-traffic-ticket.com/

Your insurance will skyrocket! the fine is trivial to the points and insurance

Consider an attorney in the 300-400 range - if you don't think you can argue the case yoruself or ask for relief.

You may be able to get probabtion or driving school on a first offense.

If the are is not posted properly and the speed measurement device was not calibrated or if the officer simply does not show up you may get dismissal. Reasonable doubt is not that hard to obtain in these cases.

AlanShore

Probally not. You should probally be able to get it reduced or go to traffic school because it is your first offense.

shiftyshellshok

Do I really have to go to traffic school? How frequent is that?

And, if i get it reduced, and pay the fine, can I just walk away like that?

BelizeBreeze

Do I really have to go to traffic school? How frequent is that?
Of course you don't. You can plea guilty, pay the fine, have your license suspended and try to explain to your parents how ignorant you acted in getting a ticket after only a FEW DAYS of getting your license.
And, if i get it reduced, and pay the fine, can I just walk away like that?
sure. And the Easter Bunny is gay.:rolleyes:

Ozark_Sophist

:eek: the easter bunny is gay?
disclaimer: Although I am happily married, I learned how to karakoe at a gay bar because nearly all of my friends were gay. That only got weird when guys started trying to stick dollar bills down my pants. My shock at the outing of the easter bunny was just an attempt at late night humor after a stressful evening, not an attack or otherwise critizing a fictional character's right to express his preference without threat or intimidation. On that note, I think if the easter bunny is gay, it is up to the easter bunny to out himself. :D

To the OP: Have you made your parents aware of the speeding ticket?

psychmajor3

The first thing you need to do is calm down! You are so upset it sounds like you are in trouble for murder and not a speeding ticket.

I do not live in your state but i can tell you what happened to me with my first speeding ticket.

I was 18 going 60 in a 45. I went to court on my court date and I plead guilty in front of the judge. He gave me a $150.00 fine and court supervision. Which meant that if I did not get stopped for speeding in 6 months then the ticket would be taken off my record and my insurance company would not be contacted.

I do not believe you need a lawyer for this. The only reason you might need a lawyer is if you want to challenge the ticket.

If you do go to court to plead guilty you might want to have a parent with you since you are under 18.

That is all I have for you. Good luck

psychmajor3

When I got the court supervision. I did not have to hint anything to the judge. That was the sentence that the judge gave to me.
I agree that you could call the district attorney's office. They would be able to tell you more about it. They knew your state law better then I do. Remember I am from Illinois.

Good Luck again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">